Media & Communication Officer
EDA - European Defence Agency
Type of post: Temporary agent post
Management of staff: N.A.
Indicative starting date: 1 September 2018
Level of Security Clearance: SECRET UE/EU SECRET
Closing date for applications: 4 December 2017
The selection of candidates will follow the EDA Staff Recruitment Procedure. Candidates must apply for this post via the EDA website http://www.eda.europa.eu - vacancies. Please note that to make an EDA on-line application you will need to create your EDA profile using a valid e-mail address and a password.
The European Defence Agency was established on 12 July 2004, and is governed by Council Decision (CFSP) 2015/1835 defining the statute, seat and operational rules of the European Defence Agency.
The Agency has its headquarters in Brussels.
The main task of the EDA is to support the Council and the Member States in their effort to improve the Union's defence capabilities in the field of crisis management and to sustain the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) as it currently stands and as it develops in the future.
The Agency is structured into four directorates. Three operational directorates: Cooperation Planning & Support; Capability, Armaments & Technology; and European Synergies & Innovation and the Corporate Services Directorate.
2. THE AGENCY'S WAY OF WORKING
The Agency is an “outward-facing” organisation, constantly interacting with its shareholders, the participating Member States, as well as with a wide range of stakeholders. It works in an integrated way, with multi-disciplinary teams representing all the Agency’s functional areas, to realise its objectives. Its business processes are flexible and oriented towards achieving results. Staff at all levels need to demonstrate the corresponding qualities of commitment, flexibility, innovation, and team-working; to work effectively with shareholders and stakeholder groups, formal and informal; and to operate without the need for detailed direction.
3. THE MEDIA & COMMUNICATION UNIT
The role of the Media and Communication Unit is to develop and implement a comprehensive and effective communications strategy for the Agency in close cooperation with the Senior Management and the Directorates.
Within the overall context outlined above, the Media and Communication Officer will, in close contact with the Head of the Unit, contribute to the following activities:
- Media & press: media relations in Brussels and national capitals, handling of interview requests, press briefings, daily press reviews;
- Online activities: writing of daily news items for the EDA website, monthly e-newsletter, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr;
- Events: annual conference and support to directorates for major EDA events;
- Communication campaigns: advising, developing and executing communication campaigns on a variety of subjects in support of directorates, including production of ad-hoc communication material;
- Production of paper and electronic publications, including supervising video production;
- Handling public queries about the Agency’s work;
- Additional tasks as required in the interest of the service.
Duties may evolve according to development of the EDA’s structure and activities, and the decisions of EDA management.
5. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
b. Essential selection criteria
The candidate will be required to demonstrate that he/she has:
- proven professional experience of at least 6 years in positions with tasks closely related to the ones describe above, acquired after the award of the qualification required as a condition of eligibility;
- strong analytical, communication (written and oral) and presentation skills;
- excellent knowledge and copy-writing/editing in English;
- media and public relations experience;
- good knowledge of the social media landscape;
- experience with website management, publications and other public information tools;
- experience in project management related to communication;
- familiarity with the EU institutions and/or with the European Defence/Air Transport/Aerospace sector;
- understanding of the EDA’s main tasks and functions.
- All staff must be able to fit into the Agency's way of working (see para. 2). Other attributes important for this post include;
- excellent planning and time management skills;
- adaptable to change and receptive to a fast-moving work environment;
- high degree of attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- ability to work under pressure;
- ability to work in a team and independently in his/her area of responsibility;
- tact and ability to work effectively in a multinational environment with both internal and external stakeholders;
- result orientation and strong motivation;
- flexibility and innovativeness;
- genuine commitment to the Agency's objectives.
The following will be considered an advantage:
- satisfactory knowledge of French (reading and speaking).
6. INDEPENDENCE AND DECLARATION OF INTEREST
The Media & Communication Officer will be required to make a declaration of commitment to act independently in the Agency’s interest and to make a declaration in relation to interests that might be considered prejudicial to his/her independence.
7. APPOINTMENT AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Media & Communication Officer will be appointed by the Chief Executive.
Recruitment will be as a member of the temporary staff of the Agency for a four-year period (unless a shorter period is mutually agreed between the parties). Renewal is possible within the limits set out in the EDA Staff Regulations. The successful candidate will be recruited as AD8.
The pay for this position consists of a basic salary of 6717,35 € supplemented with various allowances, including as applicable expatriation or family allowances. The successful candidate will be graded on entry into service according to the length of his/her professional experience. Salaries are exempted from national tax, instead an Agency tax at source is paid. For further information on working conditions please refer to: https://www.eda.europa.eu/jobs/WorkingatEDA.
Failure to obtain the requisite security clearance certificate before the expiration of the probationary period may be cause for termination of the contract.
Candidates are advised that part of the recruitment process includes medical analyses and physical check-up with an Agency’s Medical Adviser.
Applications are invited with a view to establishing a reserve list for the post of Media & Communication Officer at the EDA. This list is valid until 31/12/2018, and may be extended by decision of the Chief Executive. During the validity of the reserve list, successful candidates may be offered a post in the EDA according to their competences in relation to the specific requirements of the vacant post.
Inclusion on the reserve list does not imply any entitlement of employment in the Agency.
8. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
The EDA is an equal opportunities employer and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of age, race, political, philosophical or religious conviction, sex or sexual orientation and regardless of disabilities, marital status or family situation.
9. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Candidates must submit their application electronically solely via the EDA website. Applications by any other means (hard copy or ordinary e-mail) will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted no later than midnight. Candidates are reminded that the on-line application system will not accept applications after midnight (Brussels time, GMT+1) on the date of the deadline.
When applying, candidates from Ministries of Defence or other governmental entities are encouraged to inform their national administration.
A selection committee will be appointed. Please note that the selection committee's internal proceedings are strictly confidential and that any contact with its members is forbidden.
If recruited, you will be requested to supply documentary evidence in support of the statements that you make for this application. Do not send any supporting or supplementary information until you have been asked to do so by the Agency.
Please note that once you have created your EDA profile, any correspondence regarding your application must be sent or received via your EDA profile.
For any prior enquiry, please refer to the FAQ (Frequently asked questions) section, or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
10. DATA PROTECTION
Please note that EDA will not return applications to candidates. The personal information EDA requests from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. The purpose of processing personal data which candidates submit is to manage applications in view of possible pre-selection and recruitment at EDA.
More information on personal data protection in relation to selection and recruitment can be found on the EDA website: http://www.eda.europa.eu/jobs/dataprotection.