Intern - Economic Justice Programme
FoEE - Friends of the Earth Europe
This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the leading green NGOs in Brussels and to be part of a vibrant network of national member organisations.
The economic justice team at Friends of the Earth Europe works in several areas: corpo-rate accountability, trade, extractive industries, landgrabbing, transparency and lobby regulation.
Reporting to the economic justice coordinator, you will be assisting and working alongside the other members of the team.
Main topics of the Economic Justice campaign:
- Promote a fossil free energy system, and expose the negative impacts of large European companies and financial institutions on local communities, their environment and on climate, specifically in relation to the energy sector, extractive in-dustries and landgrabbing;
- Expose and challenge lack of transparency, corporate capture and harmful pro-posals of EU trade policy;
- Expose deceptive cases of corporate influence in the European Union and advo-cate for more transparent lobbying and stricter ethics regulation;
- Address the increasing power of multinationals at the national and international level, specifically around their lobby activities in Brussels;
- Support local communities in dealing with multinationals;
- Support a UN treaty on binding rules for corporations in relation to human rights;
- Expose cases of greenwash and scandals related to conflicts of interest.
Goals and Responsibilities of the position include:
- Monitor EU policy developments relevant to the corporate campaign;
- Organise internal and external events (debates, workshops etc.);
- Conduct research on the relevant aspects of the campaign;
- Organize and distribute relevant information to member groups and the wider NGO network;
- Produce materials for the Friends of the Earth Europe website and social media;
- Attend Brussels-based and if possible international events on the topic;
- Support the daily work of the campaign.
Applicants should demonstrate the following attributes:
- Demonstrable commitment to the values, vision and mission of Friends of the Earth Europe;
- Strong interest in environmental justice issues, ideally through an experience as social/environmental activist or within an NGO;
- High level of English (written and oral);
- Strong organisational and time management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative on projects;
- Good research and analytical skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to face unexpected situations;
- High level of IT literacy (Microsoft Office/Excel – Photoshop is a plus).
The following attributes are also desirable (but not essential):
- Knowledge and/or experience of the European institutions;
- Knowledge of and/or experience with international trade and/or impacts associat-ed with fossil fuels;
- Knowledge of another EU language other than English.
The internship will be based in our office in Brussels, for 6 months (full-time, 5 days a week). The working language at FoEE is English.