Business Analyst/Project Manager
EMBL- EBI - European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton, United Kingdom
The Strategic Project Management Office oversees capital programmes, operational/change projects and large scale procurement for the Institute. The Office also works closely with the Scientific Services Office and the External Relations Team to support EMBL-EBI leadership by measuring and reporting key indicators to measure the scientific and economic impact of the Institute.
Main duties and responsibilities
Areas of focus include:
- Supporting EMBL-EBI leadership in operational decisions by identifying, developing and maintaining key indicators of performance and impact of the organisation;
- Delivery of strategic projects, rising from EMBL-EBI growth and changing working practices. This entitles working with a diverse set of teams across the Institute;
- Continued development of standardised impact assessment methods and facilitating that appropriate roll out to EMBL-EBI service teams, for swift and consistent impact measurement throughout EMBL-EBI;
- Assist the Head of Administration to model, document and implement new or modified business processes and organisational structures;
- Providing analysis for onward funding cases and capital programme reviews;
- Adapting project management tools, work flow and documentation for EMBL-EBI’s business needs;
- Oversee EMBL-EBI’s Project Management Network to facilitate the sharing of project management methods, tools, and templates;
- Maintain/develop the central repository for ‘best practice’ project and business information. (Example PM documentation, posters, impact examples, dashboards etc.);
- Supervise consultants/interns as required;
- Prepare and present oral and written presentations for both internal and external audiences;
- Travel domestically and internationally as necessary to represent EMBL-EBI at relevant meetings and conferences.
The post will be based at the Wellcome Genome Campus in Hinxton near Cambridge; however, it is a requirement of employment that the post holder be prepared to travel.
Qualifications and Experience
You will have professional experience in either business analysis or project management.
Excellent organisational, interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills are required. We are looking for someone who is capable of quickly grasping complex concepts and communicating them effectively to different target audiences, ranging from administrative colleagues to scientists to policy-makers.
You will be flexible, energetic and able to work as part of a team as well as independently. The ability to work to deadlines and handle a number of tasks simultaneously is fundamental. A life science background is a bonus but not essential.
Other desirable skills:
- Knowledge of business analysis processes;
- In depth knowledge of MSExcel (e.g pivot tables, visual basic, dashboard creation etc.);
- Broad demonstrable experience of project delivery;
- An ability to deal positively with change and adapt to new situations;
- Ability to constructively challenge ways of working and get ‘buy-in’ to change;
- Excellent verbal and written skills;
- Capable of working under own initiative.