Georgian Current Affairs Officer
Office of the US Embassy Tbilisi
An office of the US Embassy Tbilisi is looking to recruit a full-time current affairs officer specializing in Georgian and Caucasus current affairs and media.
The successful candidate will monitor regional print, electronic, broadcast, and social media and prepare written reports and oral briefings on their findings as well as producing translations and multimedia product. The position requires strong interest in regional political, foreign policy, and social developments as well as innovative ways to understand and provide context for these developments. The successful candidate will be responsible for formulating creative approaches to address information gaps, evaluating data on regional issues, and assessing the information environment.
Occasional extended hours, weekends and holiday work may be required and are compensated accordingly.
This position offers career opportunities, competitive salary and benefits package, including paid holidays.
- A university degree in Political Science, Media Studies, International Relations, Economics, Socio-Informatics, or related fields is essential;
- Professional-level proficiency in Georgian and Russian and ability to translate both languages into fluent English. Knowledge of Armenian is a plus;
- Knowledge of Georgian current affairs and media;
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English;
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills to process large amounts of information, detect relevant factors, and discern most important elements;
- High level of computer proficiency with strong ability to use and/or learn computer applications;
- Strong knowledge/experience with social media and digital media tools;
- Broad knowledge of modern social science research methods (both quantitative and qualitative) as well as issues surrounding the use of data in social science research is desired; knowledge of data analytic packages and programming languages is desirable;
- Interpersonal and collaboration skills to work effectively in a fast-paced, often high-pressure, multicultural and multidisciplinary, dispersed team environment;
- Self-motivated individual with proven team working skills and flexibility.
Applicants are required to provide a CV and brief Qualification Statement addressing the core qualifications in the vacancy. Submissions that do not include a qualification statement addressing the qualifications will be viewed as INCOMPLETE and the applicant will NOT BE CONSIDERED for this position.
As an equal opportunity employer, we ask that you do not include your gender, race, religion, date of birth, age, marital/family status within your CV, and provide scanned documentation in Support of your legal right to work in Georgia, e.g. citizenship or residency. Applicants not providing this information will NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified within 14 days of the closing date.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Please apply by email to LondonApplicants@state.gov by 30 JUNE 2017.
The subject line of the email should read “Current Affairs Officer – Georgia”.