Public Affairs/Legal Affairs Internship
EMMA - European Magazine Media Association
STM is offering an unpaid, full-time internship at its office in Brussels for a period of 5-6 months (a small allowance for transport and food will be paid). This internship will consist of support and assistance in the Public and Legal and Copyright Affairs activities for STM. It will be of benefit particularly for anyone who seeks professional experience related to lobbying in a European, membership-based organisation.
The internship offers the possibility to learn about the work of STM, especially its advocacy and communication actions in Brussels, and the priorities of scholarly publishers today. It consists of support and assistance in the following areas:
- Monitor legislative and non-legislative activity, detect key issues and analyse their impact on the European/international scholarly publishing industry;
- Support STM’s public affairs work, including the preparation of briefings, contact plans, newsletter articles and monitoring of parliamentary discussions;
- Research and background work to support the overall activities of STM.
- Knowledge of the EU Institutions, including decision-making procedures, as well as EU law;
- An excellent team-player, with a demonstrated interest in publishing in the EU context;
- Excellent English language skills and very good written and verbal communication skills: phone calls to arrange meetings and drafting of articles for STM members is part of the weekly job;
- Strong IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database);
- Self-motivated, well organized and able to work efficiently;
- Ideally working towards a degree in political sciences or law. Previous experience in an EU institution or an EU association is an asset.