IJJO - International Juvenile Justice Observatory
The Communications internship will provide the opportunity to work collaboratively with the IJJO Communications staff, helping undergraduate and/or graduate students, as well as volunteers, further cultivate their skills through a real-life work experience. The intern will participate in a variety of activities including writing, researching and website management. This internship offers hands-on communications experience.
- Drafting communications materials such as articles, fact sheets, press releases, interviews, briefing materials, event materials, promotional emails and other similar items;
- Proofreading and fact-checking communications materials;
- Gathering of primary research material and checking background information;
- Monitoring and curating news sources;
- Developing web and social media content;
- Pitching news items;
- Building and maintaining targeted media contact databases;
- Updating the website on an as-needed basis;
- Helping identify, plan, and implement new communication strategies, platforms and tactics;
- Additional tasks and responsibilities as mutually agreed upon.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills in either English, French or Spanish;
- Creativity, versatility, high energy, initiative and discipline;
- Demonstrated interest in Juvenile Justice or Children's Rights issues is a plus, as is general knowledge of International Human Rights Law;
- Strong research ability;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail & Internet;
- Proficient in Social Media Channels: Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, etc.;
- Knowledge of video editing and graphic design tools is a plus;
- Able to work independently as well as being part of a team;
- Excellent time management skills with ability to meet deadlines;
- Sharp attention to detail when proofreading or fact-checking.
- The ideal intern will be working toward a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or higher in Communications, Journalism, Law or a related field. Volunteers with similar studies or work experience in these areas are equally welcome.
- Maximum 6 months minimum 3 months (Flexible period according to the student's availability). Stard date: June or September 2017 (Flexibe).