Sponsorship and Exhibitions Officer
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Closing Date: 7 May 2017
Reference number: HD_01077
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK), Monterotondo (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
As part of the Course and Conference Office, based at EMBL Heidelberg you will fulfil EMBL’s mission to provide exemplary training for the life sciences, making the laboratory the leading meeting place for biologists in Europe. Join the team that delivers a world-class programme of international conferences, courses and events, primarily at the striking Advanced Training Centre (ATC). The ATC is EMBL’s purpose-built scientific conference and training venue, centred on a large auditorium, wet laboratories and computer-based training rooms and complete with social spaces designed to foster networking and collaboration.
The Sponsorship and Exhibitions Officer is responsible for the acquisition of industrial sponsorship for conferences, workshops and courses of various sizes.
- Selling and account managing industrial sponsorship of EMBL’s individual courses and conferences;
- Working with customer relationship management databases and other events software to manage sponsorship and exhibition bookings, invoicing and attendee registrations;
- Population and upkeep of sponsors on event websites via content management systems;
- Acting as Course and Conference Office’s liaison officer with the EMBL Corporate Partnership Programme (CPP);
- Coordinating the needs of the CPP partners throughout the annual calendar, which includes event preparation and execution;
- Acting as Course and Conference Office’s liaison officer with the Grants department;
- Researching new sources of non-industrial funding and completing institutional grant applications;
- Coordination and management of pan-EMBL media deals for advertising individual events;
- Actively contributing to projects and work groups to advance the continuous development of the CCO;
- Building and maintaining good relationships with internal and external partners, scientific organisers and industrial customers.
Duties will also include some evening and weekend work.
Qualifications and Experience
The industry and event officer appointed should have a university degree or equivalent, with 2 years work experience in sales/account management and event management, preferably in the scientific industry. An affinity with the non-profit sector is an advantage. Additional qualifications include:
- High standard of business English and German are required;
- Excellent computer literacy is essential (Microsoft Office programs, especially Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel, Adobe Creative Suite);
- Experience with email marketing platforms and contact relationship management systems;
- Exceptional communication and organisational skills;
- A good eye for detail;
- Experience in conference administration and working at events is an asset.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.