Head of ELIXIR Project Management Unit
EMBL - EBI - European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton, near Cambridge, United Kingdom
As head of project management, you will lead and develop a team of senior project managers and administrative support to ensure that ELIXIR effectively manages its portfolio of external grants. As part of the ELIXIR Hub you will collaborate closely with technical coordinators and external relations functions at the ELIXIR Hub as well as with colleagues at our 21 ELIXIR Nodes throughout Europe.
It is expected that you will actively contribute to the development of good project management practice and build strong project management capabilities within the ELIXIR Hub and wider ELIXIR organisation. As required you will contribute to the development and submission of large, multidisciplinary, and multi-collaborative grant proposals to a wide range of funding agencies and organizations, including both public and private external entities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Extensive project management experience in international research environments; proven ability to successfully interact with multiple stakeholders to deliver results. Solid understanding of European research programmes and extensive experience of managing EC-funded contracts and grants is required;
- People management experience with demonstrated ability to lead and develop high-performing teams;
- An advanced life-science degree with relevant experience within an international research environment and good knowledge of bioinformatics and life-science data management is a strong asset;
- A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English. Relevant experience in coordinating and drafting grant applications and multi-party collaborations. Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role;
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of desktop computing software required in a modern office-based environment. Knowledge of project management tools is an asset.
- This is a busy role with frequently changing priorities and extensive external contacts so it is important that the role-holder is an energetic self-starter who is able to function comfortably in a team environment, effectively build relationships, trust and credibility with the team and external stakeholders;
- The role-holder must be able to assume a wide range of responsibilities, to work with staff who vary in their work styles; Set objectives and plan work based on agreed outcomes; Meet deadlines and assess priorities to handle a heavy workload;
- You will need documented analytical and problem-solving abilities with a service oriented and outcome focused approach; Ability to professionally represent ELIXIR at public events, conferences and scientific meetings.