Internal Market Affairs Officer
EFTA Surveillance Authority
The EFTA Surveillance Authority (ESA) monitors compliance with the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA Agreement) in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, enabling those States to participate in the Internal Market of the European Union.
ESA is, like the European Commission, independent of the States and safeguards the rights of individuals and undertakings under the EEA Agreement, ensuring free movement, fair competition and control of state aid. ESA's work helps remove barriers to trade and open up new opportunities to over 500 million Europeans, creating jobs and growth and adding to the international competitiveness of the States.
ESA is based in Brussels and currently employs 70 staff members of 16 nationalities. ESA is led by a College consisting of three members, each appointed for a period of four years by the three participating EFTA States.
ESA is recruiting an Officer to join its Internal Market Affairs Directorate (IMA).
IMA is responsible for monitoring the EEA EFTA States to ensure that they comply with their obligations in the field of internal market law. The successful candidate(s) will be assigned responsibility for general surveillance work and case handling regarding the implementation and application of EEA law. Day to day tasks include the examination of complaints, legal conformity assessments, drafting of decisions, opinions and reports.
For this particular vacancy, we are looking for candidates with experience of dealing with the four freedoms, and in particular the right of establishment and the freedom to provide services. Applications may also be considered for other suitable vacancies arising in the Directorate over the next 12-18 months.
Depending on workload and other developments, the responsibilities may be changed to cover other general or specific issues relating to EEA law.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree in law;
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in the private or the public sector;
- Very good knowledge of the legal framework of EU/EEA Internal Market law;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (ESA’s working language) as well as proven legal drafting ability;
- Excellent organisational, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team in an international environment.
The following are desirable:
- Postgraduate degree in EU/EEA law;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the functioning of the Agreement on the European Economic Area, and of the EEA EFTA States;
- Familiarity with the legal orders of Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein;
- Relevant professional experience involving the EU institutions, relevant national authorities or administrations;
- Good understanding of Norwegian, Icelandic or German (the EEA EFTA languages).
The position is placed at grade A4 of the Authority’s salary scale, the precise step being determined depending on the relevant experience of the successful candidate, with a likely starting salary of between € 90 000 and € 97 000 per annum. Depending on personal situation and family status, additional allowances and benefits may apply. Tax conditions are favourable. Overview of conditions at: https://jobs.eftasurv.int.
Type and duration of appointment: fixed-term contract of three years, renewable for a further three years if desirable and in the interests of the Authority. This may in particular be a suitable position for national or EU civil servants seeking to broaden their horizons in the context of a detachment or temporary leave of absence.
The Authority actively seeks to promote a healthy work/life balance and a working environment allowing its staff members to develop their individual skills and interests, both in a professional and personal context.
Applicants must be nationals of the States party to the EEA Agreement (EU 28 + EEA EFTA 3). The Authority particularly encourages applications from nationals of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
- All applications must be made online at: https://jobs.eftasurv.int;
- Deadline for applications: 23 April 2017;
- Interviews: Planned for week commencing 15 or 22 May 2017;
- Start date: Autumn 2017.
Applications submitted in response to this vacancy notice may also be taken into account for the purpose of filling other vacancies arising for similar posts within the Authority.
Questions regarding the post may be addressed to Gabrielle Somers, IMA Deputy Director, on +32 (0)2 286 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions regarding the recruitment process may be addressed to Kathryn Bryan, HR Officer, on +32 (0)2 286 email@example.com.