Head of Talent Acquisition
EPO - European Patent Office
Directorate HR Customer Interface and Talent Management
Principal Directorate Human Resources
As the patent office for Europe, the European Patent Office supports innovation, competitiveness and economic growth across Europe through a commitment to high-quality and efficient services delivered under the European Patent Convention. With expert staff, motivated to set worldwide standards, the EPO plays a leading role in developing an effective global patent system. All its relationships - within the Office and with partners around the world - prosper through efficiency, trust and transparency. Its processes empower people to use their knowledge and skills to the full.
Part of Principal Directorate Human Resources, Directorate 4.3.1 (renamed HR Customer Interface and Talent Management as from 1 January 2017) is responsible for all talent-related activities, from talent acquisition and development to talent management.
Within Directorate 4.3.1, the Department Talent Acquisition, is composed of around 20 staff based in Munich and The Hague, seven of whom are recruiters. It is responsible inter alia for developing the EPO's talent acquisition strategy to proactively ensure a diverse workforce and to attract and select the best talents in Europe. A large portion of the department's activities relate to the recruitment of around 200 multilingual engineers and scientists a year from the European Patent Organisation's 38 member states to become European patent examiners.
- Proposing and driving the talent acquisition strategy and policies;
- Leading, managing and co-ordinating the cross-site talent acquisition team;
- Developing an EPO recruitment plan with business and HR leaders (involving around 400-450 internal and external recruitments a year);
- Implementing proactive sourcing strategies for different profiles;
- Managing various subcontractors (headhunters, psychometric testing companies, etc.);
- Establishing, monitoring and reporting on KPIs for talent acquisition activities to create a dashboard for the talent acquistion process.
The ideal candidate will have
- successful people management experience in a multicultural environment;
- knowledge and experience in selection techniques, including psychometric instruments;
- very good knowledge of conventional and innovative sourcing channels, especially online media;
- a proactive and forward-thinking approach, initiative, the ability to develop new solutions when required, and a willingness to take personal responsibility;
- highly developed communication skills, both written and oral;
- very good interpersonal skills;
- very good organisation skills;
- experience in managing and delivering results;
- proven change management skills;
- ability to provide a customer-focused service;
- ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously while remaining result-oriented;
- experience in an international working environment.
- Diploma of completed university studies at master's level or - in exceptional cases - equivalent professional experience;
- Excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French or German) and ability to understand the other two;
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The starting net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 223 to 7 396, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant's, childcare, education, expatriation, installation, rent and language allowance).
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
Duration of the contract
The contract will be for the duration of five years.
At the end of our selection process, we may place suitable candidates on a reserve list for a period of 12 months. The EPO may use the reserve list to fill a vacant post with the same profile. However, being on a reserve list does not guarantee a job offer or imply any entitlement to employment at the EPO.
Procedure and timeframe
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
It is intended to hold the interviews in calendar week 7 (2017) in Munich.
Please apply online, by using the link, reference number EUR/2721.
Application until: 22 January 2017.
Agency or sales calls are not appreciated.