EU Nature Policy Officer
Stichting BirdLife Europe
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia in Brussels is looking for: EU Nature Policy Officer.
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia (ECA) is looking for a dynamic, passionate and committed policy professional to support BirdLife Partners on EU nature policies.
BirdLife ECA is a Partnership of 48 national conservation organisations and a leader in bird conservation. Our unique local to global approach enables us to deliver high impact and long term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife ECA is one of the six regional Secretariats that compose BirdLife International, the global authority on the status of bird species. Based in Brussels, it supports the European and Central Asian Partnership and is present in 47 countries including all EU Member States.
With more than 4.100 staff in Europe, 2 million members and tens of thousands of skilled volunteers, BirdLife Europe and Central Asia, together with its national Partners, owns or manages more than 6,000 nature sites totalling 320 000 hectares.
In Brussels, the BirdLife ECA team works mainly on EU policy issues and aims at improving EU legislation relating to the environment and biodiversity.
2. OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The EU Nature Policy Officer, as part of BirdLife Europe’s policy team will help ensure that EU policies are designed and implemented in a way that promotes biodiversity conservation. He/she will support and coordinate BirdLife Partnership’s work on EU Nature Policy, notably the implementation of the Birds and Habitats Directives and the Natura 2000 network, help formulate positions and represent and promote BirdLife’s views to the EU Institutions. He/she will also help design and deliver successful campaigns, projects and publications aiming to achieve BirdLife’s policy priorities.
Background is available on the webpages:
- To keep abreast of EU legislative and policy developments primarily related to the Birds and Habitats Directives/Natura 2000 and other fields as appropriate. To promote the correct implementation of the Birds and Habitats Directives across EU and Candidate Countries in particular through:
- Being the main Brussels based BirdLife advocate on EU nature and biodiversity policy;
- Providing policy support to BirdLife (national) Partners, including by being the main reference for and by providing support to the Birds and Habitats Directive Task Force in close collaboration with the Task Force Coordinator, and in line with the agreed work priorities of the Task Force;
- Providing technical support to the Birds and Habitats Directives Task Force (organisation of meetings, taking minutes, maintaining Task Force archive, relevant web-pages etc.);
- Providing general and specific support to BirdLife Partners regarding the implementation of the Birds and Habitats Directives, in particular Natura 2000 and provisions on species conservation/hunting (e.g. through briefs and papers, and through phone and e-mail communication as well as visits);
- Providing general and specific case work support to BirdLife Partners regarding infringements of the Birds and Habitats Directives.
- To help generating, formulating, adopting and advocating to EU level decision makers BirdLife positions related to the EU 2020 biodiversity strategy, mainly on policy issues regarding subtargets 1 (species and habitats) and 2 (ecosystems) of the Strategy;
- To assist in developing constructive working relationships with key influential bodies, especially the European Commission and the European Parliament, as well as relevant NGOs and stakeholders, and to win their support for our priorities, positions and programmes individually and collectively;
- To represent BirdLife Europe at technical EU committees, working groups, and at the European Habitats Forum etc. in relation with areas described in Overall Purpose of Job;
- To co-operate with all BirdLife Europe staff, in particular with the Head of EU Policy, the other members of the EU Policy Team and the Regional Director, as well as with the Coordinator and the members of the Birds and Habitats Directives Task Force and to fully involve them in relevant discussions to facilitate and promote BirdLife’s positions;
- To help provide detailed briefs and papers for decision-makers, along with the other staff in the office. To provide detailed briefs and updates on relevant policy areas for the Partners (particularly for the Birds and Habitats Directives Task Force);
- To help identify opportunities for funding, in collaboration with specialist fundraisers, (other) European Division staff and Partners. Contribute to reporting to donors as necessary;
- To contribute to the publications of BirdLife Europe;
- To represent the BirdLife Europe at external meetings and conferences as necessary;
- To contribute as appropriate to the work and general policy of BirdLife Europe and the European BirdLife Partnership;
- To respond to inquiries as necessary from within and outside the Partnership.
4. WHAT WE OFFER:
Duration: 1 year (renewable) Belgian contract;
Working hours: full-time.
5. HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter (all in English) setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in the email subject: EU Nature Policy Officer.
Closing date: 3rd November 2017 at midnight CET. Please consider that applications received after the closing date will be automatically discarded.
6. SHORTLISTING AND INTERVIEWS:
Shortlisting is based on CV and cover letter. Successful candidates will be asked to attend face to face interviews. A possibility of remote interview may be offered to candidates from abroad.
Please note that due to the large number of expected applications only successful candidates will be contacted.