Officer TRD - Trade Relations Division (TRD) - VA 24/2017
EFTA - European Free Trade Association
The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland). EFTA has established preferential trade relations – primarily in the form of free trade agreements and joint declarations on cooperation – with more than 50 countries and territories outside the EU and is continuing to develop this worldwide network.
The Trade Relations Division (TRD) of the EFTA Secretariat in Geneva consists of 12 staff members. It provides comprehensive services related to the exploration, negotiation, administration and upgrading of EFTA’s preferential trade relations.
This position is open to nationals of one of the EFTA Member States (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein).
Division: Trade Relations Division (TRD)
Type/Duration of Appointment: Fixed term 3 years. If considered desirable and in the organisation’s interest, an additional three-year contract may be offered.
Start Dates: 1 March 2018
Job Reference: VA 24/2017
The officer will have substantive and organisational responsibilities in support of EFTA’s engagement with partner countries outside the European Union. Her/his specific area of responsibility will centre on issues pertaining to the protection of intellectual property rights (IPR) in EFTA free trade agreements and extends to a range of other trade policy questions, e.g. in the area of legal and institutional issues including dispute settlement, trade remedies, competition or other fields covered by EFTA’s comprehensive free trade agreements. The position will also include country desk responsibilities (coordination of EFTA’s preferential trade relations with several partner countries).
- University degree or equivalent, preferably with a specialisation in IPR, international legal and/or economic issues;
- Knowledge of relevant international agreements and organisations, such as WTO and EFTA would be an asset.
- Expertise in the field of international trade policy and rules, with sound knowledge of relevant international legal frameworks, in particular of the WTO;
- Specific know-how in relation to questions of intellectual property rights and legal and institutional issues in trade agreements would be an asset;
- Relevant work experience in a national administration, international organisation, and/or related research or private sector activity.
- Service-mindedness and tact;
- Very good communication and negotiation skills;
- Readiness to cooperate closely in an international team;
- Ability to work under time pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Strong organisational skills and self-reliance;
- Open-mindedness and flexibility, including availability for frequent international travel.
- Excellent oral and written command of English (EFTA language);
- Knowledge of French, and possibly other work-related languages, would be an asset.
Annual salary: CHF 158,627
Appointments are made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA Member States, and as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host States. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States.
Applicants must apply online via the EFTA e-recruitment tool: http://jobs.efta.int.
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2017.