Managing Consultant/Programme Manager in Policy Implementation and Programmes Practice, with Experience in Migration and Home Affairs
Brussels or London
ICF is a leading provider of consulting services and technology solutions to governments and commercial clients in the United Kingdom, Europe and globally. Since 1969, we have combined a passion for our work with deep industry expertise to tackle our clients' most important challenges. We cover the entire policy, programme and project lifecycle and address a wide range of policy areas, including justice, home affairs, employment, education and training, gender equality, and social inclusion and protection. With more than 5,000 employees, we serve government and commercial clients from more than 70 offices worldwide. ICF's website is www.icf.com.
We are expanding our services, and to support this growth, we are looking for a Managing Consultant/Senior Consultant to join our Policy Implementation and Programmes practice. The practice provides technical assistance, networking and other implementation services to EU institutions, particularly the European Commission, as well as organisations in the UK. Our current portfolio of projects includes technical coordination and programme support to the European Migration Network (EMN), European Centre of Expertise on labour market policy and labour law; Mutual Learning Services for employment and social inclusion, Radicalisation Awareness Network, as well as training services, such as the training programme of the EU Aid Volunteers Initiative.
The Managing Consultant/Senior Consultant would lead the day-to-day management of the EMN, as well as having the opportunity to contribute to ICF’s wider portfolio of implementation and research/consulting services. Since 2009 ICF has provided technical assistance and research services to the EMN, working closely with DG Migration and Home Affairs. This includes producing reports, studies and briefing papers on topical issues of migration and asylum and delivering a range of communications services, including conferences, workshops, the EMN Bulletin plus maintaining the EMN’s webpages. Other services include providing a secretariat function to the network and its various sub- and working groups, monitoring the work of the network of National Contact Points in the Member States and Norway; and undertaking in-country visits and support.
This is a senior position and we are therefore seeking an experienced professional with a relevant University degree and at least 8 years’ experience in project management related to the area of asylum and migration, covering aspects of policymaking, law, research and statistics, as well as proven knowledge of the immigration policies of the Member States and EU developments in this area. The role will include overseeing project delivery, quality control of delivered services, client orientation and project conflict resolution experience with experience to manage a team of at least ten people. The candidate also needs to be open to contributing to related policy areas, such as in the employment or social inclusion field.
- Take project management responsibility for the implementation of the EMN contract, reporting to the Project Director, and ensuring standards of quality and timeliness are met;
- Manage time planning and work organisation from across the EMN team to ensure the smooth implementation of the work programme in line with the client’s expectations and timely delivery of outputs;
- Manage and plan the work/time inputs from external experts providing inputs to the EMN deliverables at key stages;
- Provide regular updates/attend meetings with the Commission in Brussels to plan and monitor the implementation of the work;
- Attend network meetings in Brussels/undertake in-country visits as required;
- Provide management information to the ICF EMN Project Director to ensure that all contractual responsibilities are met;
- Build and maintain relationships with the EMN National Contact Points, plus the network of external stakeholders to the EMN (EASO, FRA, Frontex, European parliament etc.);
- Collaborate with the ICF EMN Project Management Team to ensure programme deliverables are completed within budget and meet internal profitability targets;
- Contribute to building and expanding ICF’s portfolio of work in project/network management/asylum and migration;
- Assist in the line-management, training, development and mentoring of staff;
- Take up management roles in other implementation contracts, as needed.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- 8 plus years of professional experience in programme/project management related to the area of asylum and migration, covering aspects of policymaking, law, research and statistics, as well as proven knowledge of the immigration policies of the Member States and EU developments in this area;
- Experience in managing multi-national teams of more than 10 people;
- Experience of managing high quality EU-level research reports, studies and briefing papers, including support to staff in the development of research methodologies, analytical frameworks and approaches;
- Skills in providing network secretariat services at EU and supporting contact points;
- Experience in quality control of delivered services, client orientation and project conflict resolution experience with experience to manage a team of at least ten people;
- Demonstrable experience in the coordination of internal/external experts at various levels to ensure tasks are completed to time and to budget;
- Knowledge of communications methods and tools in the context of disseminating research outcomes;
- Demonstrable experience in leading/contributing to winning new programmes and projects for the European Commission, national governments, agencies and other stakeholders and willingness to contribute to wider (related) policy fields (e.g. employment, social inclusion).
- Ability to self-organise, prioritise and manage multiple work strands and teams in parallel under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- High level of ability and confidence to perform tasks with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work flexibly to meet client and organisational priorities and needs;
- Strong commitment to and interest in the policy fields of asylum and migration;
- Sound research and business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information;
- Excellent communication skills, including experience with presenting key concepts to clients; both internal and external;
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical and presentation skills in English, additional European languages an advantage;
- Commitment to the progression and development of junior research/other staff;
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as clients and sub-contractors;
- Ability to work within multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams spread across several countries;
- Willing to travel within Europe as required;
- Entrepreneurial talent to identify and realise new opportunities as well as new innovations/approaches that will improve efficiency.
If you are interested in this position, please follow the link below and send us your CV and a covering letter in which you explain why you are interested and well placed for the job: https://icfi.taleo.net/careersection/icf_prof_ext/jobdetail.ftl?job=1700002620.