Senior Advisor - Member States and External Relations
International IDEA - The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Supports the Secretary General in the implementation of his/her mandate by managing and developing external relations with key stakeholders, including member states (new and prospective), with the aim of establishing meaningful collaborations and heightening the visibility of International IDEA. Provides strategic leadership and direction in donor management strategy, building profile and pre-positioning International IDEA, including fund acquisition.
The position is key within the office of the Secretary General, requiring close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders of the Institute with whom the Secretary-General has contact.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining strategic interaction with Member State representatives, ensuring active membership engagement; Identifies potential partners and initiates relationships;
- Engages and retains government agencies, professional associations, the UN, multilateral organizations, bilateral donors, foundations and NGO’s through strong donor relations, with the aim of maximizing and diversifying the funding base;
- Responsible for building and maintaining strategic partnerships with government agencies, professional associations, the UN, multilateral organizations, bilateral donors, foundations, NGO’s etc., Ensures alignment with the organization’s mission and purpose;
- Identifies dormant partners and Member States; Actions and implements engagement plans;
- Supports the Secretary-General with the planning of activities, to ensure coherence of initiatives in the field of Member State relations and External Relations; Supports the planning and coordination of related activities, meetings and missions;
- Responsible for the organization of key External Relations engagements, events and meetings;
- Provides the Secretary-General with key inputs for meetings with existing or prospective Member States and external actors;
- In collaboration with the Secretary-General and the Director Corporate Services, provides strategic direction for fund acquisition by developing an appropriate strategy and business plan based on relevant market understanding and analysis; Supports/initiates innovative funding streams;
- Manages the external contacts of International IDEA, coordinates communication and appropriate follow-up.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Relates effectively with and creates synergies between multiple external as well as internal stakeholders;
- Leads assigned projects with authority throughout the cycle on institutional processes;
- Combines people and intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her duties;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Anticipates internal challenges and issues and recommends process improvements;
- Integrates a gender perspective in all activities.
- Has excellent knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with excellent understanding of related disciplines in order to approach institutional budgetary and programme performance activities in a holistic manner;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to synthesize key concepts and convey messages to diverse audiences;
- Excellent understanding of world affairs and of major international trends in the field of democracy building as well as a good understanding of the issues of democracy promotion;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of institutional goals, objectives, structure and operations.
Operational knowledge, skills and experience
- Ability to conceptualize, understand and strengthen International IDEA’s identity;
- Excellent communicator, ability to build meaningful relationships and influence member states’ representatives and such other stakeholders; Solid experience in targeting, cultivating and maintaining donor relations;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her Unit’s activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant budgetary and programme performance issues;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget and planning of his/her project(s).
- Leads a multi-talented team, sets team priorities and manages resources;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of factors.
- Has a clear impact on the organization’s development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and programmes.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Fluency in English and at least one other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is essential;
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues; Ensures appropriate representation of International IDEA at strategic fora that could lead to resource acquisition and enhanced programming collaboration;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- University degree in law, international relations, public relations, business administration, communications or related discipline;
- A minimum of 6-8 years working experience in communications, advocacy, donor relations or related field within a variety of global organizational environments (national, multilateral, governmental or NGO);
- Excellent knowledge and experience of project management with government and multilateral agencies grant funded projects and experience of grant compliance procedures for major bilateral and multilateral donors;
- Experienced networker with an ability to maintain a good up to date knowledge of the grant opportunities and trends in the humanitarian sector;
- At least 5 years of team management experience; Leadership capabilities that include coaching staff to high level of performance & engaging in effective cross cultural & cross functional working to achieve shared goals and effective indirect line management;
- Office-based work environment. Frequent international travel is essential.
Terms of Contract
Two (2) year fixed term appointment.
Competitive salary plus benefits.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 30 September 2017;
- You may apply directly by pressing the Send Application button;
- Applications must be sent in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.