EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 or 5 years
Grading: 3 or 4; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 30 September 2017
Reference Number: RM_00058
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
The postholder will be required to participate in a variety of tasks underpinning the functioning of the Epigenetics and Neurobiology Unit in Rome. He will report directly to the Head of Unit.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Carrying out all laboratory kitchen functions: dishwashing and autoclaving, preparation of media, bacterial plates, and maintenance of machines;
- Receiving and distributing the deliveries to the labs, scanning the delivery notes, and doing the Goods Receipt in the EMBL electronic management system;
- Organizing the common stock of lab consumables;
- Organizing the safe disposal of recyclables, general, chemical and radioactivity waste, in liaison with the Safety Office in the Heidelberg headquarters when necessary;
- Supervising the facilities of liquid nitrogen and -80°C storage;
- Assisting with driving duties such as delivering and picking up equipment, staff, visitors and documents;
- Assisting newcomers with the administrative steps associated with settling in a new country (tax number, opening of bank accounts);
- Providing backup support for seminar and video conferencing assistance.
It is likely that a certain amount of weekend and evening work will be required. The postholder will need to be flexible and able to respond appropriately to the requirements of the Unit, sometimes at short notice.
Qualifications and Experience
The postholder should have a driving license and preferably some experience of transporting people. Fluency in English is essential. The ability and flexibility to take on new tasks are required.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
Please include a cover letter and a CV and arrange for 3 letters of recommendation to be emailed directly by your referees to email@example.com at the latest by 30/09/2017.
An initial contract of 3 or 5 years' duration will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
The working language of the Unit is English.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.