Digital Communications Manager
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 6, 7 or 8; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 01 October 2017
Reference Number: HD_01170
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
EMBL is looking for a Digital Communications Manager to support the development of a digital communications strategy for the whole of EMBL, coordinating and guiding product owners in the development of key assets including a new intranet, a redesigned embl.org and a new site to facilitate access to EMBL's broad portfolio of services to the global life-sciences research community.
You will act as a broker and connector between diverse stakeholders to continually improve EMBL’s digital communications channels. Based within the Strategy and Communications team, you will work with web product owners, IT teams and a broad community of scientists and service owners across our six sites.
You will work with IT teams, EMBL's developer community and external partners to develop and implement a web framework that enables a wide range of constituents and products to align in keeping with EMBL's brand model. You will ensure that EMBL’s social media is integrated as appropriate throughout these projects, facilitating collaboration and helping us to reach and engage with new internal and external audiences. The Strategy and Communications team are currently looking to rebuild EMBL’s digital communications channels and you will play a leading role in these efforts.
Key responsibilities include:
- leading digital product owners and EMBL's social media manager within EMBL’s Strategy and Communications team;
- developing and implementing governance structures, policies and processes to support EMBL’s digital communications;
- ensuring that web guidelines are implemented in new web projects and supporting their continuous development;
- building relationships with external suppliers to fulfil short-term development capacity requirements;
- managing relationships with key stakeholders in digital projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- excellent organisational and planning skills;
- strong written and verbal communication skills in English;
- excellent interpersonal skills;
- a passion for web development - you need to understand how web infrastructures operate, how great websites are built and how their developers work;
- experience of leading change management and agile development processes;
- good people and team management skills;
- experience of working with distributed teams.
This position will be based at EMBL’s headquarters in Heidelberg, and will require regular travel between EMBL's other sites, up to several times per month.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.