(Senior) Legal Counsel and Compliance
EDFI Management Company N.V./S.A.
Incorporated in 2016 by the association of 15 European Development Finance Institutions and funded by the European Commission, the EDFI Management Company manages ElectriFI, the Electrification Financing Initiative (www.electrifi.org) out of their offices in Brussels.
At this moment, EDFIMC has a team of ten people, of which six work full time on ElectriFI transactions. Based on new funding secured, they seek to expand this team with a few (senior) Investment Managers. To strengthen the wider team, they will also hire a full time (Senior) Legal Counsel plus a full time (Senior) Sustainability Officer.
ElectriFI finances and supports companies in emerging markets, that provide new and improved access to electricity by utilizing renewable energy sources with a particular emphasis on decentralized energy solutions. ElectriFI invests in the form of (near) equity, (subordinated) debt or guarantee structures. Financing ranges from EUR 500k to EUR 10mln per client. Funding is mainly for early stage investment financing whereby additionality to other funders and return alignment with other investors is pursued.
The example of ElectriFI, early stage and high risk financing to promising ventures, will be copied to the agriculture space. The European Commission intends to avail funding to the benefit smallholders and value chain players in the agriculture sector. To that extent, EDFIMC intends to also set up an agriculture team by early 2018.
The Legal and Compliance Counsel will be responsible for the full scope of legal functions within the operations of the company, from service agreements with suppliers, IT contracts, and company secretariat functions to supporting the investment professionals in the due diligence, structuring and contracting phases of investment work in order to guarantee compliance with our company guidelines.
Key Result Areas
- Provide strategic advisory on all legal matters including any company contracting, any deal structuring and any regulatory compliance (EC agreements, Belgian regulations, etc.);
- Guide from a legal point of view new and existing projects from the structuring phase to their implementation, and if need be, liaise with the relevant external legal expert in order to provide proper legal support;
- Warrant legal compliance of all the projects of the organization, especially in terms of KYC;
- Assist in the implementation and regular upkeep of rules and regulations required for a company compliance function to prevent risks of non-compliance;
- Draft, review and solidify company procurement contracts, agreements and other legal documents to ensure EDFIMC’s compliance with the relevant legislation and with the requirements of the European Commission;
- Perform company secretary functions, from assisting in meetings of the Board and Shareholders to establishing management reports and formal publications in the Belgian Gazette to support the organization on a practical and administrative level;
- Deal with any litigation and evaluate the legal options in case of legal dispute in order to ensure a solid argumentation and an optimal defense of the organization, if need be in partnership with an external law firm;
- Be responsible for the legal aspects of Human Resources Management inside the organization in order to respect the relevant employment laws and redirect to the appropriate external experts when more advice or support is needed;
- Keep abreast of evolutions and development of the legal framework related to EDFI's activities, maintain his/her legal knowledge up-to-date in order to be the person of reference for all legal matters, increase his/her credibility and share all relevant legal information with his/her colleagues.
- Master’s degree in law;
- Minimum 8 to 10 years of professional experience in an international law firm, an impact investment or development finance institution, or mix of these;
- Experience in financing documentation under the laws of England and Wales;
- Knowledge of Belgian company law and personnel/contract law is an asset;
- Experience in any other jurisdiction is an asset;
- Experience in the energy and agriculture sectors.
Skills & Competencies
- Self-starter, pragmatic, solution oriented;
- Strong client relationship, communication, and project management skills;
- Communications and writing skills in English is required;
- Proficiency in other languages (Dutch, French, etc.) is an asset;
- Multi-cultural sensitivity.
What we offer
- A dynamic, multi-cultural working environment in a rapidly growing asset management firm;
- Permanent contract with a competitive salary;
- Located full time in Brussels;
- Frequent travelling will contribute to the success in this role.
How to apply
Applications are treated exclusively and in confidence by EARS – European Affairs Recruitment Specialists. To apply please send your CV and Cover letter in English to email@example.com, stating in the subject line “EDFI – Legal Counsel and Compliance”. The cover letter shall clearly outline your motivation and availability. Deadline for applications is 30th of August 2017.