IT System Engineer
COST - European Cooperation in Science and Technology
COST - European CO-operation in Science and Technology - is a unique means for European researchers to jointly develop their own ideas and new initiatives across all scientific disciplines through trans-European networking of nationally funded research activities.
Based on a European intergovernmental framework, COST has contributed since its creation in 1971 to closing the gap between science, policy makers and society throughout Europe and beyond. COST mission is to enable break-through scientific developments leading to new concepts and products and thereby contributing to strengthen Europe’s research and innovation capacities.
The COST Association is an international non-profit association based in Brussels with 36 European Member Countries; it integrates governance, management and support functions dedicated to COST activities aiming at enabling trans-European science and technology cooperation. The COST Association draws its funding from the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, Horizon 2020, through specific Grant Agreements signed in the frame of a framework Partnership Agreement with the European Commission.
The IT System Engineer first responsibilities are to to timely plan, design, engineer and run the organisation’s IT systems infrastructure.
The IT System Engineer reports directly to the Head of Information Systems.
The successful candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
The position will involve:
- Engineering system administration related solutions for various project and operational needs;
- Analysing activities and requirements to evaluate infrastructure needs and recommend solutions;
- Contributing to and maintaining system standards;
- Evaluating infrastructure needs and taking care of procurement (contact with vendors, quotations, participation in committees) of software, hardware, services and other technical products in a cost effective way and within available budget;
- Ensuring appropriate security measures for the IT Systems of the organization;
- Monitoring and optimising the IT Systems of the organization;
- Coordinating the work of IT Assistants working as IT Helpdesk first line;
- Providing second level support to organisation’s IT Helpdesk and serve as backup for first line when required;
- Researching and recommending innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks;
- Providing advice on technical issues that the organisation has to face;
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation;
- Fulfilling other responsibilities and tasks as necessary for the good organisation of the office, as mandated by the COST Association Director.
Profile and Competencies
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following competencies:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or similar or at least 4 years of professional experience as IT System Engineer on top of the required experience below;
- At least 4 years of professional experience as System Engineer/Administrator in medium or large size enterprises;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft environment (Active Directory, Exchange, Server, SharePoint, Skype for Business, SQL Server, Office 365), VMware and Veeam;
- Very good knowledge of LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and Ubuntu administration;
- High standard of spoken and written English, knowledge of other European languages appreciated Experience in academic or not-for-profit environment.
- Hands on experience with DNS, network switch management, backup strategies, disaster recovery plans, business continuity;
- Advanced knowledge of UTM Systems (Universal Threat Management) covering among others VPN, Antivirus, Anti-Spam, Firewall;
- Knowledge of Atlassian suite (JIRA, Service Desk, Bitbucket, Bamboo) and EMC² VNX Storage are a plus;
- Excellent understanding, planning and design of the IT infrastructure needs of a medium size organisation.
- Service-oriented attitude with strong sense of purpose and drive to make a meaningful contribution to the COST mission;
- Team-orientated work ethic;
- Commitment to deliver on tasks allocated and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Action-oriented, responsible and self-managed, creative and willing to take initiatives and continuous improvement minded;
- Good inter-personal and communication skills within a multi-national context, including diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality;
- Positive and constructive attitude in an evolving environment.
The COST Association offers
- A full-time contract under the Belgian law;
- Start date: as soon as possible;
- A European working environment located in Brussels;
- Unless a national of the ‘EU and EEE’, candidates must be eligible to work in Belgium and must have a work permit.
Electronic applications (motivation letter with possible start date mentioned + CV in English and at least 2 recent reference letters in English) should be addressed to Barbara Bottiau and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the reference code ITSE in the subject line.
Please note that the COST HR Team will only contact the candidates who are invited to the interview. No individual feedback will automatically be given to unsuccessful candidates.
The interviews will take place on 14th September 2017 for the 1st round and on 19th September 2017 for the second round.
For more information, please visit our website: www.cost.eu.
Deadline for application: 03/09/2017 included
Data protection - All personal data provided by applicants will be dealt with in compliance with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regards to the processing of personal data by the Community Institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data and also in compliance with the law of 8 December 1992 relative to the protection of the private life with regards to the personal data processings which transposes into Belgian law the provisions of the European directive.