Socio-economic Policy and EU Integration Adviser in Political Section
EUSR Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Banja Luka, Bosnia-Herzegovina
The European Union Special Representative Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina is seeking a highly qualified international for the position of Socio-economic policy and EU Integration Adviser in Political Section.
International Contracted/Seconded IS 2017 - 03
The duration of the contracts is to the end of the current EUSR mandate [June 2018] and extendable thereafter pending the decision of the EU Council.
Interested candidates who fulfill the criteria must complete (in English) application form (CV form available here), enclose a one (1) page motivation letter, and return it to email@example.com with subject “Application Ref. No IS 2017/03”.
Deadline for application: 30 June 2017.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Adviser – socio-economic policy and EU Integration
Position reference number: IS 2017- 03
Direct Supervisor: Head of Banja Luka Office
Duty Station: Banja Luka, BiH
The incumbent will contribute to mandate and policies of the European Union Special Representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina (EUSR).
The EUSR in BiH is double-hatted with the EU Head of Delegation. The Head of Delegation has other responsibilities that are the competency of the European Commission and in this respect the Commission remains responsible for its related policies and the implementation of its external assistance.
The adviser will work in the EUSR Political Section under the direct supervision of the Head of Banja Luka Office. In accordance with the EUSR mandate to "facilitate progress on political, economic and European standards priorities", the Adviser will, under the direction of the Head of Banja Luka Office work in close conjunction with the Commission and the EEAS services.
The function to be met is to facilitate the implementation of political, socio-economic and standards reforms required for EU integration and will further provide input to and a link with the EU's various development programmes and projects. The post will play an important supporting role in the coordination and communication of the EU candidacy questionnaire process which is run from the Sarajevo office.
The EUSR modus operandi and internal organisation will necessarily evolve in accordance with decisions of the Council and in relation to the challenges the EUSR in BiH. The duties and responsibilities outlined are therefore typical but not exclusive and the EUSR reserves the right to reasonably amend the duties and responsibilities here within.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
The Adviser duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide advice on issues pertaining to the mandate of the EUSR;
- Provide analysis and strategic advice on prioritized and assigned issues relating the socio-economic priorities for the EUSR's mandate implementation;
- Noting the importance of the inclusion of civil society in the EU integration process, to maintain relevant contact with civil society and to engage in advocacy and outreach;
- Follow-up socio-economic issues as per Acquis harmonization of legislation/regulation;
- Following the RS-internal process on EU integration, reporting on developments, and advising with particular regard to RS coordination with the state level;
- Analyse and advise on socio-economic issues of relevance for the EUSR and monitor related policy developments across RS;
- As required to provide written inputs for the EUSR derived policy/strategy papers and other relevant reports;
- Constantly advocate EU standards and best practices;
- Replace Head of Banja Luka Office in his/her office;
- Other tasks as assigned by the Political Adviser - Head of Banja Luka Office.
- University degree in social sciences or similar related;
- Preferably a minimum 6 years of experience in government, public administration and international affairs;
- Experience in the region and knowledge of its socio-economic challenges;
- Experience working with international institutions, preferably including financial institutions, and experience in missions operating in the region will be an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of the European Union, its institutions/structure and EU policies in the Western Balkans;
- Knowledge of substance of SAA economic chapters;
- Knowledge of the EU accession process and its stages;
- Knowledge of the main on-going reform activities in BiH (political, socio-economic, etc);
- Experience with varied, sensitive and targeted outreach to diverse audiences, including political, professional and social will be an advantage;
- Experience in communicating complex issues will be an advantage.
Competencies and Attributes
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Ability to be a team-player as well as to take initiative and work in team settings with high sense of confidentiality and flexibility;
- Ability to work long hours with focus on result and objective;
- Ability to operate independently;
- Excellent written skills in English language and ability to summarize complex socio-economic issues in a clear and concise manner;
- Cultural sensitivity and good interpersonal skills to interact within multicultural environment;
- Fluency in one of the official languages of BiH would be an asset;
- Vehicle driving licence.
- National of a European Union Member State;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance (EU Secret or equivalent) from the incumbent's country of nationality;
- Certified medically fit for employment by a competent authority from the incumbent's country of nationality.