EU Public Affairs Economist (F/M)
CECIMO - European Association of the Machine Tool Industries
The European Association of the Machine Tool Industries (CECIMO) is looking for a new staff member to join its dynamic team based in Brussels. Founded in 1950, CECIMO is recognized as the worldwide representative of the common interests and values of the European manufacturers of this key enabling technology. CECIMO is the European platform which identifies and promotes strategic initiatives to improve the global competitiveness and leadership of the European Advanced Manufacturing Industry.
CECIMO is specialised in EU regulatory and policy issues, mainly in the field of industrial policy, circular economy, research, innovation, skills and education, with a specific focus on the digital single market, digital economy and society. CECIMO is daily dealing with issues related to Smart Manufacturing, Factory of the Future, Internet of Things, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, CyberSecurity and 3D printing or Additive Manufacturing.
The successful candidate will be a strong analytical and strategic thinker, by preference an economist with a high interest in market intelligence and European public affairs. There will be a specific focus on the modernisation of Europe’s industry, including economic, fiscal, monetary incentives at EU and national level.
He/she must not only love to work and play with figures but must also be passionate about EU public affairs and advocacy. She/he should have excellent organisational and communication skills and be eager to improve the competitiveness and sustainability of advanced manufacturing. Ideally the candidate should be strong in project management.
Qualification and experience required
- University degree preferably in Economics, Business or Political Science with a specialisation in European studies or equivalent work experience;
- Analytical and organizational skills, sense of initiative, autonomy and tasks’ prioritization;
- Comfortable with producing and interpreting statistics and indicators into strategic and economic messages;
- Ability to write clear and straightforward economic reports, articles (CECIMO magazine, CECIMO blog) and position papers;
- Good understanding of European policies (especially trade, internal market, economic and monetary policy) and EU decision-making processes;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and oral);
- Interest in organisation of events and conferences;
- Interest in new technologies and business models, advanced manufacturing industry and issues like digitisation;
- High customer service towards members;
- Ready to contribute in a flexible way to a small but dynamic team;
- English is the working language; any other European language is a strong asset;
- Proficiency with Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and internet search engines.
Statistics & Market surveys
- Update and development of the monthly CECIMO Statistical Toolbox, a set of macroeconomic indicators that are strongly correlated with the machine tool business cycles;
- In charge of the Statistics & Marketing sections on the CECIMO website and extranet;
- Organization of international economic and statistical meetings with CECIMO national statisticians;
- Setting up of European-wide statistics for the sector: presentation to members during general assemblies and to EU officials during meetings or events;
- Support to member associations for specific market surveys (emerging markets and/or new industrial segments);
- Contact person for external consultants and economists for the delivery of international studies and forecasts.
EU Advocacy & Events
- Monitoring of EU dossiers and analysis of their possible impacts on the European machine tool industry;
- Writing of position papers and responses to the public consultations;
- Organization of visits to EU officials to promote the sector;
- Contribute to our main events (seminars, workshops and exhibition stands);
- Contribute to the preparation of our communication materials;
- Prepare briefing notes, speeches and presentations for the President, the Director General and the Board members;
- Give presentations to the Board and the General Assembly, as well as at external events for different stakeholders.
- An exciting and multicultural working environment with the opportunity to gain broad experience in an innovative industrial sector and a multinational association;
- Great variety of tasks, networking opportunities, international experience and travel abroad.
- Please answer all questions and attach your application (CV + cover letter) before 30 June 2017. Follow the instructions here.
While we appreciate all responses to our request for applications, please understand that we will only contact short-listed candidates.
- For further information: +32 (0)2 502 70 90 or www.cecimo.eu.