IT Security Officer
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 6, 7 or 8, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 9 July 2017
Reference Number: HD_01097
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Monterotondo near Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
We are looking to recruit a passionate and highly motivated IT security specialist who, in a cross-functional role, based in the IT team at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and closely working with the IT team at EMBL-EBI in Hinxton, UK, will support the further development of the laboratory’s information security to ensure adequate protection of information assets and technologies. EMBL IT teams manage an exponentially growing high-end IT infrastructure which is spread over several data centres and hosts more than 130 PBytes of scientific data currently including the complementary high-performance computing and the administrative IT to support the activities of the laboratory. The main responsibilities of the role include:
- Coordinate the EMBL information security strategy and program in close collaboration with leadership and stakeholders across the laboratory including risk management, architecture, policies, governance and continuous improvement;
- Define, build, operate and innovate the EMBL IT security solutions and architecture;
- Support IT teams and service owners in operational hardening of systems, services and networks;
- Provide training, advice and easy to follow user guidelines on maintaining IT security to EMBL users and IT service owners;
- Establish and operate emergency response and business continuity concept;
- Contribute to manage compliance with internal and external information security regulations including documentation, testing and auditing;
- Support the laboratory’s data privacy program closely working with the EMBL Data Privacy Office (DPO).
The successful candidate will join the IT Services department in Heidelberg and in a cross-functional role, in addition, report to the Technical Services department at EMBL-EBI in Hinxton, UK. Based in Heidelberg, the role requires regular travel to EMBL-EBI as well as to the other EMBL outstations.
The position will provide opportunities for continued training and development of professional and personal skills.
Qualifications and Experience
In addition to a degree in computer science, IT security or a related qualification, the successful candidate is able to demonstrate professional experience in managing IT security and should be familiar with related technologies including management of firewalls, SIEM, IDS/IDP, NAC, multifactor authentication, endpoint security and operational hardening of networks, systems and services in a heterogeneous setting and user training. The successful candidate should have medium level scripting skills, experience in security testing; a background on cloud security would a plus. S/he had previous exposure to establishing information security management processes, is familiar with the support of audits and security certification. In addition to the technical skills around information security, the role requires excellent interpersonal and communication, project management, coordination and documentation skills. The ideal candidate has a service-oriented attitude, is well-organized and able to work to tight deadlines. Excellent working knowledge of English is required to succeed in this job, German language skills would be an asset.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment.
- Competitive salary exempt from national taxes;
- Comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family;
- Excellent child care facility on campus;
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills;
- Flexible and friendly working environment.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.