Supervisor, Global Issues Management
An important driver of a unified corporate relations function (including communications, public affairs, and government relations) is a strong understanding of the key issues that McDonald’s faces and the actions that are needed to address them. The Supervisor, Global Issues Management will be a part of a global Center of Excellence (COE) team that proactively identifies, monitors, analyzes, prioritizes, and develops action plans for issues in the public policy, regulatory, and reputational arenas. The Supervisor will support the COE’s goal to ensure a system-wide, proactive, anticipatory, and strategic approach to global issues management in order to help the business strengthen and to protect reputation to support growth.
Global in focus, the position reports to the Manager, Global Issues Management, based in Brussels. The position works closely with the broader Global Policy and Engagement team, including Public Affairs and Communications colleagues in markets around the world to ensure that issues are being managed in a proactive and outcome-driven manner. This role will principally focus on sourcing, analyzing, and synthesizing information for issues on a global scale and creating action-oriented tools and guidance for multiple audiences on the corporate and market levels. The role will also need to be conversant across the full range of developing and emerging issues, particularly in regards to issues in Europe, and provide perspectives to assist the decision making of the COE.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills & competencies:
- Intellectual Ability & Problem-Solving – intelligent and agile; comfortable with concepts and complexity;
- Accountability – self-starter with strong sense of initiative, focused on results; ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and, at times, within ambiguous and undefined circumstances;
- Communication – excellent oral, written and overall communications skills; can credibly adopt a broad range of communication styles; sensitive to specific audiences in tone as well as content;
- Business Acumen/Strategic Perspective – understands business and the strategic role of Issues Management/Public Affairs in assessing and analyzing challenges and opportunities in line with business objectives;
- Team-Orientation – a strong team-minded approach with ability to lead teams and effectively manage projects; ability to work assertively and collaboratively with management and colleagues at all levels of a decentralized organization;
- Composure – Comfortable working in a fast-paced & deadline-driven environment; strong work ethic and personal integrity; calm under pressure;
- Understanding Others – understands different perspectives and is able to work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, multi-cultural and international environment.
- Assist manager in monitoring external political, stakeholder, societal, and other developments and trends in delegated issue areas of responsibility;
- Research, analyze, quantify, and prioritize reputational and regulatory issues as assigned;
- Synthesize issue information into high-impact summaries and briefings;
- Support managers and director in drafting reports, talking points, media statements, and other action-oriented materials for delegated issues;
- Manage the issues management IT platform;
- Communicate with the service provider to ensure requirements are being met;
- Work with internal teams to ensure the right information is integrated into the platform at the right time;
- General cleanup, maintenance, and other administrative issues (non-technical);
- Coordinate the development of a global issues monitoring and tracking system;
- Help integrate a mix of monitoring tools into the issues management COE;
- Manage administrative issues related to this tracking system;
- Identify and analyze developing and emerging issues in Europe and provide perspectives to assist the decision making of the COE;
- Review issue management system and propose options for continuous improvement.
- BA/BS degree required;
- 3+ years of experience in Public Affairs/Public Policy or relevant field;
- Fluent in English, speaking at least one more language is an advantage.
- Ability to draft materials that are suitable across a range of target audiences, including media and political/NGO stakeholders;
- Industry related experience preferred;
- International experience and mindset, understanding the impact of developments/issues across the world;
- An ability and desire to understand McDonald’s business, influence, and internal structure – become involved in the business with strong relationship building, collaboration and influencing skills;
- Strong written, verbal, and analytical skills;
- Ability to translate complex information into concepts that are more easily understood and clearly articulates its impact on the bottom line.
We seek someone who shows passion, energy, excitement and enthusiasm for the journey ahead at McDonald’s. Position is based in Diegem, Belgium.