Policy Advisor Economics and Finance
Insurance Europe is the European insurance and reinsurance federation. Through its 35 member bodies - the national insurance associations - Insurance Europe represents all types of insurance and reinsurance undertakings, eg pan-European companies, monoliners, mutuals and SMEs. Insurance Europe, which is based in Brussels, represents undertakings that account for around 95% of total European premium income. Insurance makes a major contribution to Europe’s economic growth and development. European insurers generate premium income of €1 200bn, directly employ 985 000 people and invest nearly €9 900bn in the economy.
For our economics and finance department, we are looking for a (m/f) Policy advisor Economics and Finance.
As a member of the Economics and Finance (ECOFIN) team, your main responsibilities will be to support the Economics and Finance director on a wide range of economic issues covering a variety of insurance-related topics.
A key responsibility will include monitoring developments in the field of financial reporting and in particular, International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). You will be responsible for organising working group meetings (such as the Financial Reporting Working Group) with our member representatives and will coordinate the discussions. You will also contribute to developing advocacy papers and you will assure coordination of and work closely with dedicated bodies such as the EFRAG, IASB and EIOPA. You will liaise with the European CFO Forum working groups and support the ECOFIN director’s participation in this Forum.
Other responsibilities may include supporting the ECOFIN director in his active participation as a member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Stakeholder Group (IRSG), his preparation of Insurance Europe’s ECOFIN Committee and development of evidence, articles and presentations to support key immediate and strategic lobby activity.
Regular responsibilities and activities will include:
- Identifies, monitors and analyses EU initiatives relevant for the European insurance covering a variety of topics with a focus on all aspects of Financial Reporting (in particular IFRS 9 and 17);
- Synthesizes Insurance Europe’s members’ feedback, generates solutions and develops common positions reflecting the European industry views;
- Participates in Insurance Europe’s advocacy strategy towards external stakeholders and liaises with a broad range of legislative and regulatory bodies;
- Provides day-to-day information-sharing and services to members (e.g. is a point of contact) and helps draft when needed press releases and other external communications;
- Builds and maintains contacts and relationships with relevant contacts including Insurance Europe members, CFO Forum, EFRAG, IASB, EIOPA, other industry organisations, etc.;
- Participates in seminars and conferences to learn, network and actively promote the policy messages of the organisation;
- Undertakes research on other topics and develops presentations, articles, papers to support immediate and strategic lobby activity;
- Liaises within Insurance Europe;
- Support and coordinates closely with - and reports directly to the - Economics and Finance Director, particularly in his activities with IRSG, CFO Forum and preparation of ECOFIN meetings.
- University degree or equivalent in economics, finance or any other related area (Experience and knowledge of financial reporting and IFRS);
- Good organisation skills and capacity to identify key issues;
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically with a range of external stakeholders;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and political sensitivity;
- Very good analytical skills and proven ability to synthesise feedback;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- High-quality communication skills and drafting skills;
- Experience within an international and multicultural environment is advantageous.
Challenging position in an international and professional organisation, with Brussels as operating base. Competitive salary package, with excellent benefits. Permanent position, full-time.
Please address application letters and curriculum vitae to Insurance Europe, Rue Montoyer 51, 1000 Brussels for the attention of Koen Ameye (e-mail: email@example.com).