ESM - European Stability Mechanism
We are looking for a Loan officer to manage the EFSF/ESM loans to beneficiary Member States (currently Ireland, Greece, Spain, Cyprus, and Portugal).
The selected person will report to the Head of ALM and Lending and will work closely with the Senior Loan Officer.
The European Stability Mechanism (“ESM”) is the permanent crisis resolution mechanism for the countries of the euro area. It issues debt instruments in order to finance loans and other forms of financial assistance to euro area Member States.
The ESM is a unique place to work with around 170 individuals committed to making a difference to the future of the euro area. It recruits talented professionals of all nationalities from both the private and public sector.
- Support country team coordinators and economists in their country assistance and monitoring missions;
- Help structure new loans, by:
- assisting in creating the high-level structure of the loan;
- managing disbursement processes and country requests;
- assisting in preparing all documentation in relation to the assistance.
- Support the life of the loans, including the monitoring of the EFSF/ESM contractual rights vis-à-vis beneficiary Member States;
- Assist in restructuring existing loans to beneficiary Member States;
- Use/build debt financial models to structure new loans and analyse possible amendments to existing loans;
- Support beneficiary Member States’ Debt Management Offices in the implementation of the financial assistance;
- If need be, support the Banking Department in their bank assistance and monitoring missions, book and support the life of the investment;
- The position may involve occasional travel.
KEY BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in finance/economics/law or a business-related discipline;
- 5+ years of experience in lending transactions/operations in the banking, financial, or development sector is required, preferably in an international financial institution;
- Experience in financial modelling and quantitative techniques would be strongly valued;
- Experience in managing and/or risk monitoring sovereign lending would be an asset as well as experience in the official sector (e.g. development bank or international financial institution);
- Understanding of country debt dynamics;
- Good understanding of loan terms and covenants, excellent knowledge of legal aspects of loan documentation;
- Excellent knowledge of Excel/VBA and computer tools, understanding of financial analysis and credit risk assessment;
- Excellent written and spoken English (ability to produce clear and concise reports).
- Team player;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to make sound judgements;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage direct contacts with senior officers/public sector officials.
Contractual conditions: 2-year fixed term contract, with possibility of extension.
The ESM aims to provide equal opportunity to all candidates irrespective of their gender, nationality, age, race, culture, education, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability. To further enhance the diversity of our workforce, we particularly encourage women to apply.