EU Advocacy Internship
ECDHR - European Center for Democracy and Human Rights
9 May 2017 – The European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights (ECDHR) is looking for an EU Advocacy Volunteer for a period of six months, on a full-time basis, to help with the tasks and mission of its Brussels’ office. This is a great opportunity for recent graduate or young professional interested in human rights who wish to gain hands-on experience in advocacy, communication and research with EU institutions.
- To monitor and draft regular updates on the EU policy, legal and political developments relevant to ECDHR’s mission;
- To attend, follow and report on hearings, briefings, conferences, and other meetings on behalf of ECDHR team;
- To assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications, including managing ECDHR’s twitter profile, Facebook page and website;
- To assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- To assist with the organisation of advocacy meetings and other events;
- To provide general administrative support.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- At least an undergraduate degree in European Studies, Law, Politics, International Relations or similar;
- Excellent knowledge of the EU institutional architecture and decision-making processes, especially European Parliament;
- Knowledge of human rights issues, in particular freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Demonstrable research and writing skills;
- Analytical skills and ability to digest complex information into concise and informative briefs;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment;
- Strong oral and written communication and organisational skills;
- Proficient in English (both written and spoken);
- Must have the right to work in Belgium.
Knowledge and skills considered as an asset:
- Previous experience with EU Institutions, EU Public Affairs;
- Knowledge of the Gulf region;
- Knowledge of Arabic;
- Previous experience with Twitter, WordPress.