Personal Assistant to the Head of Unit
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 4, 5 or 6, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 11 June 2017
Reference Number: BA_00003
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK), Monterotondo (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
The new site EMBL Barcelona is being established in the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), one of the largest infrastructures in Southern Europe dedicated to translational research and which is located on the Mediterranean coast of north-eastern Spain.
We are looking for a Personal Assistant to the Head of Barcelona Unit joining the team to be built in Barcelona. He/she will be supporting the head of unit and will be gradually responsible for the local administrative work with responsibilities that also cover functions based on close collaboration with the respective departments in EMBL Heidelberg.
Tasks will include:
- Support the Head of Unit through organizing travel, travel reimbursements, handling correspondence, committee work, meetings and conferences;
- Organize travel and travel reimbursements for staff and visitors (e.g. control cost allocation for local travel invoices, online trip management);
- Organize meetings (scheduling, minute taking, book keeping);
- Organize seminars (agenda, travel arrangements for speakers, social activities);
- Coordinate PhD students visits and PhD students selections taking place in Barcelona;
- Assist Human Resources in Heidelberg organizing staff selection (e.g. logistics, travel and accommodation);
- Support the administrative team on their duties;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Unit.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must be service-oriented, possess good judgment, discretion, and the ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment. Work experience in a similar position, preferably from a dynamic area in an international environment, is required. Furthermore, the postholder should have the following competences:
- Excellent secretarial, administrative and organisational skills;
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills to interact with internal/external contacts at all levels in a friendly and professional manner;
- Self-initiative and the ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision;
- Strong capability to work in a team;
- Appropriate IT skills with a sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Fluency in English as well as in Catalan and Spanish.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
Interviews are planned for 21th, 22nd and 23rd June 2017.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.