Communications and Events Intern
UNRWA - United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
We are currently seeking to recruit a full-time motivated Communications and Events Intern to join our dynamic and well-tuned Brussels team for a challenging but exciting 6-month unpaid internship. The successful candidate will work under the overall direction of the Director and under the direct supervision of the Communications and Events Specialist to support the Brussels office team in designing, organizing and implementing its diverse EU visibility actions. This internship is for a highly motivated, young professional, recent communications and/or event management graduate, or student requiring such internship to finalize their MA. She/He should be looking to gain hands-on communications and events experience as well as issue-specific knowledge on the question of Palestine refugees.
The internship offers involvement in all aspects of our work and learning opportunities in a dynamic, friendly multinational team that supports interns in acquiring skills to work in intergovernmental organizations, while empowering them with the opportunity to be responsible for their own projects. We also offer hands-on knowledge on how major international actors and stakeholders inter-relate at the European and global levels, as well as provide professional and substantive guidance.
The selected candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with the design, organisation and implementation of communications activities (public events, photo exhibitions, information sessions, press conferences, online engagement, press relations, etc.), with the aim to raise public and media awareness about Palestine refugees, UNRWA and EU support to UNRWA;
- Assist in the coordination of visibility activities’ internal preparatory meetings and follow up on subsequent actions to be taken;
- Contribute to the design, layout and proof reading of promotional and communication materials;
- Liaise and coordinate as needed with other UNRWA staff in Brussels and in the fields as well as with Brussels-based staff from other UN agencies;
- Liaise with external service providers/contractors and in this respect, act as focal point to ensure optimum efficiency, compliance with appropriate guidelines, procedures, specifications and timely delivery of services;
- Assist with setting up and dismantling of events, and provide on-site assistance at events;
- Assist in developing and implementing a communications strategy for each event/activity;
- Maintain ongoing records on each event’s activities and assist in drafting the final reports to UNRWA management and the European Union;
- Maintain and frequently update the office contact database;
- Maintain and update the office photo archive;
- Maintain and update the office public information library;
- Disseminate information/publications and general UNRWA press releases as appropriate;
- Re-design and maintain the UNRWA Brussels webpages;
- Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned.
Qualification and Experience:
- Successful completion or near-completion of post-secondary education (Master level) in communications, events management or public relations. Graduates in social sciences, international relations, political science or other related fields could also be considered;
- Experience in events planning/management;
- Experience in a communications/public information environment, preferably at the international level.
- Excellent command (oral and in writing) of English; working-knowledge of other EU language(s) an asset;
- Excellent communications skills (orally and in writing);
- Excellent administrative, organisational, record keeping and information management skills;
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Knowledge of a design software (Publisher, InDesign) an asset;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Attention to detail and deadlines;
- Ability to work within a small team and maintain harmonious working relationships in a multi-cultural environment;
- A quick learner with a positive attitude and proactive approach;
- Creative, innovative, resourceful;
- Demonstrates initiative, openness to change and ability to manage complexities and solve problems;
- Ability to work under pressure, professionalism, sound judgment and foresight;
- Flexibility to adapt working hours for events taking place in the evening and on weekends;
- Eligibility to reside and work in Belgium.