ICT Assistant (Temporary Agent, AST 4)
EASO - European Asylum Support Office
Valletta Harbour, Malta
1. WE ARE
The European Asylum Support Office (hereinafter referred to as "EASO"), established by Regulation 439/20101, strengthens European Union (EU) Member States’ practical cooperation on asylum, enhances the implementation of the Common European Asylum System (CEAS) and supports Member States whose asylum and reception systems are under particular pressure.
Specifically, EASO focuses on three main tasks:
- Supporting practical cooperation among Member States on asylum mainly through training, quality activities, country of origin information (COI), statistics and analysis, specialized expert networks, practical cooperation workshops, thematic support on unaccompanied minors, trafficking in human beings and gender;
- Supporting Member States under particular pressure through emergency support, including the deployment of asylum support teams to assist EU Member States in managing asylum applications and in putting in place appropriate reception facilities;
- Contributing to the implementation of the CEAS by collecting and exchanging information on best practices, drawing up an annual report on the asylum situation in the EU covering the whole asylum procedure in EU Member States and adopting technical documents, on the implementation of the new EU asylum acquis.
The headquarters of EASO are located at the Valletta Harbour (Malta).
2. WE PROPOSE
The ICT Assistant will be part of the EASO ICT Unit reporting to the Head of ICT Unit. Duties will include but will not be limited to:
- Maintain the architecture and support the configuration and implementation of information systems and information technologies;
- Maintain quality patterns and assess the organisational and technological impact of the operational systems;
- Maintain the availability of the informational resources, support the information flow of the organisation, while ensuring defined access lists and rules, and confidentiality levels;
- Maintain the necessary measures that ensure the integrity and security of EASO’s information and its supporting systems, while keeping the rules of safeguarding and recovery of such information;
- Draft documentation to support to the decision process regarding the implementation of operation systems, and also elaborate the necessary information required to the specification and procurement of information and communication technologies and services provided by external companies;
- Collaborate on the draft, publication and distribution of rules of information technology usage, while ensuring the necessary training and support to users regarding any installed or planned information systems;
- Execute technological projects and technological infrastructures, namely, data structures servers, application and resource servers, networks and communication controllers and information security devices, while ensuring the correct maintenance;
- Manage and administer the available virtual and physical resources, while ensuring the correct exploration of the sharing capabilities of such capacities;
- Assist in the resolution of any incidents that might occur from the usage and exploration of the available resources, while drafting the technical documentation necessary to ensure a proper usage of such resources;
- Ensure the application of security, confidentiality and integrity mechanisms to the information that is stored, processed and transported in the processing systems and communication networks that are in production at EASO, while supporting regular security and vulnerability audits to such systems;
- Assist in the technical and financial studies with the objective of selection and acquisition of information processing systems, communication systems and any parts required to support the business activities;
- Assist in the support all users in the operation and usage of terminal processing and communication equipment, microcomputers and basic logical support structures, while drafting the technical procedures designed to assist in the correct and easy usage of all installed equipment;
- Provide recommendations to IT Systems Sector and Head of ICT Unit on infrastructure changes to ensure proper lifecycle planning;
- Perform other tasks as required by the Head of Unit.
3. WE LOOK FOR
A) Eligibility criteria
Candidates will be considered eligible for selection on the basis of the following formal criteria to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
1. Have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma2, and after having obtained the diploma, appropriate professional experience of at least 9 years, or
have a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and after having obtained the diploma, appropriate professional experience of 12 years;
2. Be nationals of one of the Member States of the European Union, Norway or Switzerland;
3. Be entitled to their full rights as citizens;
4. Have fulfilled any obligations imposed on them by the laws on military service;
5. Possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties pertaining to the post;
6. Meet the character requirements for the duties involved3;
7. Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post4.
B) Selection criteria
If the eligibility criteria set out in section A) Eligibility criteria are met, the candidates’ applications will be evaluated on the basis of the selection criteria below. The most suitable candidates will be invited to an interview.
- At least 9 years of previous relevant experience in the ICT field related to the tasks listed above;
- Proven professional experience in management and maintenance of Microsoft technological platforms;
- Proven professional experience in management and maintenance of network infrastructure;
- Proven professional experience in management and maintenance of Storage Array Networks.
- Proven experience in MS Office (Lync) Communication Server;
- Certifications in network technology;
- Experience in MS Exchange 2013 Administration.
Evaluation during interviewing process
Candidates invited to the interviewing process (interview and written test) will be assessed on the following criteria that are essential to the post:
- Excellent written and oral command of English;
- The ability to use electronic office equipment and applications (word processing, spread sheets, presentations, electronic communication, internet, etc.).
During the interviewing process candidates may also be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Excellent planning and organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work and deliver under pressure;
- Excellent analytical and technical skills;
- Capacity to manage several processes simultaneously;
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
4. SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
The Regulation which provides the legal basis for EASO was adopted in May 2010 (Official Journal of the European Union L 132 of 29.5.2010).
Eligibility of candidates will be assessed by a Selection Committee according to compliance with all eligibility criteria by the closing date for the submission of applications.
The applications of the eligible candidates will also be assessed against the selection criteria. Following this assessment, the best ranking candidates may be invited for a written competency test and an interview, which will be held for the most part in English.
The interview will consist of the following components:
- General aptitude and language abilities to the extent necessary for the performance of their duties in accordance with Article 12.2(e) of the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS);
- Specific competences with reference to the applicants' profiles in line with the selection criteria of the present Vacancy Notice.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring with them originals and copies of the documents listed below:
- A document proving their citizenship (e.g. passport);
- Certificates attesting their educational and professional qualifications, in particular those giving access to the profile in question;
- Documentary evidence of their professional experience after the date on which the candidate obtained the qualification giving access to the profile in question, clearly indicating the starting and finishing dates, whether full or part time, and the nature of the duties carried out.
The Selection Committee will propose a shortlist of successful candidates to the Appointing Authority, who will decide on the appointment of the successful candidate and the establishment of a reserve list for the post advertised. Candidates shall note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment. Recruitment will be based on availability of posts and budget.
The reserve list for this post will be valid until 31 December 2017 and may be extended at the discretion of the Appointing Authority.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate will be asked to undergo a compulsory medical examination by one of the institutions' medical officers in order that EASO may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of Article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.
5. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
EASO applies an equal opportunities policy and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
6. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Temporary Agent will be appointed by the Executive Director, upon recommendation of the Selection Committee, following the selection procedure.
He/she will be recruited as a temporary agent pursuant to Article 2(f) of the CEOS for a period of 5 years which may be renewed. The temporary agent post in question will be placed in group AST4. Successful candidates who are recruited will undergo an initial probation period of nine months.
The pay for a Temporary Agent, AST4 (step 1) consists of a basic salary of 4099.01 € weighted by the correction coefficient (for Malta currently 85.70%) supplemented with various allowances, including family allowances. The salaries of staff members are subject to a Community tax deducted at source. Staff members are exempt from national tax on salary and are members of the Community social security and pension schemes.
For further information on working conditions of temporary staff please refer to CEOS: http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1962R0031:20140101:EN:PDF.
The place of employment is Valletta Harbour (Malta).
7. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
For applications to be valid, candidates shall:
- Use the official application form provided on the EASO website. The application must be completed in English, and all parts must be completed in full;
- Send their application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline;
- The subject of the e-mail should include the reference of this vacancy, followed by the candidate's surname.
Incomplete applications will be disqualified and treated as non-eligible. Candidates who use the same application to apply for more than one post will also be disqualified.
Please note that the selection process may take several months.
Candidates who are offered the post will be requested to submit original or certified copies of their education diplomas and professional experience certificates.
In order to facilitate the selection process, all correspondence to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English.
Under no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee, directly or indirectly, concerning this recruitment. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards this instruction.
The closing date for submission of the applications is 15 May 2017 at 13:00h (Brussels time). EASO will disregard any application received after this date and time.
Applicants are strongly advised not to wait until the last day to submit their applications, since heavy internet traffic or a fault with the internet connection could lead to difficulties in submission. The EASO cannot be held responsible for any delay due to such difficulties.
If at any stage in the procedure it is established that any of the information provided by a candidate is incorrect, the candidate in question will be disqualified.
8. DATA PROTECTION
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by the candidate is to manage the application(s) of the candidate in view of a possible selection and recruitment at EASO.
EASO does not make public the names of successful candidates on reserve lists. However, it is possible that, for the purposes of recruitment and related planning purposes, members of the EASO management team may have access to reserve lists and, in specific cases, to the application form of a candidate (without supporting documents, which are kept in confidence by the personnel department). Application files of non-recruited candidates are kept for two years from the expiry date of the reserve list after which time they are destroyed.
The personal information requested will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the EU institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data.
9. APPEAL PROCEDURES
Pursuant to Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the Union, a candidate may submit a complaint against an act affecting him/her adversely. The complaint must be lodged within 3 months from the date of notification to the following address:
The Executive Director
European Asylum Support Office
MTC Block A, Winemakers Wharf, Grand Harbour Valletta, MRS 1917
Should the complaint be rejected, pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and Article 91 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants, a candidate may request judicial review of the act. The appeal must be lodged within 3 months from the date of notification to the following address:
European Union Civil Service Tribunal
Boulevard Konrad Adenauer
If you believe that there was maladministration, you may lodge a complaint to the European Ombudsman within two years of the date when you became aware of the facts on which the complaint is based (see http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu), or write to:
1, Avenue du President Robert Schuman -BP 403
F-67001 Strasbourg Cedex
Please note that complaints to the European Ombudsman do not have the effect of suspending the period mentioned in Articles 90 and 91 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants for lodging complaints or submitting an appeal pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
1 Regulation (EU) No 439/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 May 2010 (OJ L 132, 25.5.2010, p.11).
2 Only diplomas and certificates that have been awarded in EU Member States or that are the subject of equivalence certificates issued by authorities in the said Member States shall be taken into consideration.
3 Before the appointment, the successful candidate shall be asked to provide an extract from their police file.
4 Before the appointment, a successful candidate shall be medically examined by one of the institutions' medical officers in order that EASO may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.