Administrative Assistant (Temporary Agent, AST 3)
EASO - European Asylum Support Office
Valletta Harbour, Malta
1. WE ARE
The European Asylum Support Office (hereinafter referred to as "EASO"), established by Regulation 439/20101, strengthens European Union (EU) Member States’ practical cooperation on asylum, enhances the implementation of the Common European Asylum System (CEAS) and supports Member States whose asylum and reception systems are under particular pressure.
Specifically, EASO focuses on three main tasks:
- Supporting practical cooperation among Member States on asylum mainly through training, quality activities, country of origin information (COI), statistics and analysis, specialised expert networks, practical cooperation workshops, thematic support on unaccompanied minors, trafficking in human beings and gender;
- Supporting Member States under particular pressure through emergency support, including the deployment of asylum support teams to assist EU Member States in managing asylum applications and in putting in place appropriate reception facilities;
- Contributing to the implementation of the CEAS by collecting and exchanging information on best practices, drawing up an annual report on the asylum situation in the EU covering the whole asylum procedure in EU Member States and adopting technical documents, on the implementation of the new EU asylum acquis.
The headquarters of EASO are located at the Valletta Harbour (Malta).
2. WE PROPOSE
The Administrative Assistant will be deployed in one of the EASO Department/Unit and will be responsible for the day to day general administration of the Department/Unit assisting the Head of Department/Unit as well as supporting the Department’s/Unit’s staff with the following tasks:
- Providing logistic and administrative support and coordinate and organise meetings, conferences, workshops: room reservations, putting together working papers as well as taking care of the follow-up (travel cost reimbursements of the experts, sending of the meeting reports);
- Ensure and coordinate the mission planning and administrative follow-up (mission requests, travel and accommodation arrangements, reimbursements, etc.);
- Drafting of internal administrative files/notes, rules, reports, policy guidelines and procedures in compliance with the EU Staff Regulation, Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS) and Financial Regulation; proof-reading letters, reports etc.;
- Ensure the follow-up of the Heads of Department/Unit decisions and assist in organisation and management matters, including drafting of briefings and replies; Keeping track of work in progress/deadlines and ensuring the follow-up of assigned tasks until completion;
- Set up and maintain databases, contact lists, archiving systems and management of functional mailboxes;
- Provide statistics, periodical reports and other documentation regarding the administrative operation of the Department/Unit;
- Planning, monitoring and reporting of related budgets;
- Act as financial initiator and/or verifying agent for the Department/Unit financial transactions;
- Act as operational initiator for the launching of tenders in cooperation with the procurement team and follow up the legal commitments in place for the routine administration of the Department/Unit in cooperation with EASO procurement team;
- Co-ordinate ad hoc projects related to areas of responsibility within the Department/Unit;
- Perform any other duty required in the interest of the Department/Unit.
3. WE LOOK FOR
A) Eligibility criteria
Candidates will be considered eligible for selection on the basis of the following formal criteria to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
1. Have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma2 and, after having obtained the diploma, at least 6 years of appropriate professional experience, or
Have a level of education attested by a diploma and giving access to post-secondary education, and after having obtained the diploma, at least 9 years of appropriate professional experience;
2. Be nationals of one of the Member States of the European Union, Norway or Switzerland;
3. Be entitled to their full rights as citizens;
4. Have fulfilled any obligations imposed on them by the laws on military service;
5. Possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties pertaining to the post;
6. Meet the character requirements for the duties involved3;
7. Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post4.
B) Selection criteria
If the eligibility criteria set out in section A) Eligibility criteria are met, the candidates’ applications will be evaluated on the basis of the selection criteria below. The most suitable candidates will be invited to an interview.
- At least 5 years of professional experience with tasks closely related to those described above;
- Proven professional experience in drafting of internal administrative files/notes and proofreading letters, reports etc.;
- Proven professional experience in providing statistics and periodical reports;
- Proven professional in organisation of meeting, conferences and workshops.
- Proven professional experience as administrative assistant (e.g. within Finance, Procurement, Human Resources etc.) within a European Institution, Agency or Body, International Organisation or Public Administration of the Member States;
- Proven professional experience working with Staff Regulations, Conditions of Employments of other servants of the European communities, ABAC software and the EU Financial Regulations or with other similar regulatory frameworks;
- Proven professional experience in acting as Operational initiating Agent for the launching of tenders or proven professional experience in dealing with similar procurement rules in European Institution, Agency or Body;
- Degree obtained in a field relevant to the above mentioned functions and duties i.e. in the field of finance, economics, accounting, law, human resources, business administration or management;
- Proven professional experience working with missions and events organisation.
Evaluation during interviewing process
Candidates invited to the interviewing process (interview and written test) will be assessed on the following criteria that are essential to the post:
- Excellent written and oral command of English;
- The ability to use electronic office equipment and applications (word processing, spread sheets, presentations, electronic communication, internet etc.).
During the interviewing process, candidates may also be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Resilience, remaining effective under a heavy workload and respecting deadlines on multiple tasks;
- Excellent time management and organisational skills;
- Clear and precise communication skills both verbally and in writing and well developed interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong service-oriented attitude;
- Strong sense of confidentiality, integrity and discretion.
4. SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
The Regulation which provides the legal basis for EASO was adopted in May 2010 (Official Journal of the European Union L 132 of 29.5.2010).
Eligibility of candidates will be assessed by a Selection Committee according to compliance with all eligibility criteria by the closing date for the submission of applications.
The applications of the eligible candidates will also be assessed against the selection criteria. Following this assessment, the best ranking candidates may be invited for a written competency test and an interview, which will be held for the most part in English.
The interview will consist of the following components:
- General aptitude and language abilities to the extent necessary for the performance of their duties in accordance with Article 12.2(e) of the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS);
- Specific competences with reference to the applicants' profiles in line with the selection criteria of the present Vacancy Notice.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring with them originals and copies of the documents listed below:
- A document proving their citizenship (e.g. passport);
- Certificates attesting their educational and professional qualifications, in particular those giving access to the profile in question;
- Documentary evidence of their professional experience after the date on which the candidate obtained the qualification giving access to the profile in question, clearly indicating the starting and finishing dates, whether full or part time, and the nature of the duties carried out.
The Selection Committee will propose a shortlist of successful candidates to the Appointing Authority, who will decide on the appointment of the successful candidate and the establishment of a reserve list for the post advertised. Candidates shall note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment. Recruitment will be based on availability of posts and budget.
The reserve list for this post will be valid until 31 December 2017 and may be extended at the discretion of the Appointing Authority.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate will be asked to undergo a compulsory medical examination by one of the institutions' medical officers in order that EASO may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of Article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.
5. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
EASO applies an equal opportunities policy and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
6. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Temporary Agent will be appointed by the Executive Director, upon recommendation of the Selection Committee, following the selection procedure.
He/she will be recruited as a temporary agent pursuant to Article 2(f) of the CEOS for a period of 5 years which may be renewed. The temporary agent post in question will be placed in group AST 3. Successful candidates who are recruited will undergo an initial probation period of nine months.
The pay for a Temporary Agent, AST 3 (step 1) consists of a basic salary of 3622.83€ weighted by the correction coefficient (for Malta currently 85.7%) supplemented with various allowances, including family allowances. The salaries of staff members are subject to a Community tax deducted at source. Staff members are exempt from national tax on salary and are members of the Community social security and pension schemes.
For further information on working conditions of temporary staff please refer to CEOS: http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1962R0031:20140101:EN:PDF.
The place of employment is Valletta Harbour (Malta).
7. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
For applications to be valid, candidates shall:
- Use the official application form provided on the EASO website. The application must be completed in English, and all parts must be completed in full;
- Send their application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline;
- The subject of the e-mail should include the reference of this vacancy, followed by the candidate's surname.
Incomplete applications will be disqualified and treated as non-eligible. Candidates who use the same application to apply for more than one post will also be disqualified.
Please note that the selection process may take several months.
Candidates who are offered the post will be requested to submit original or certified copies of their education diplomas and professional experience certificates.
In order to facilitate the selection process, all correspondence to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English.
Under no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee, directly or indirectly, concerning this recruitment. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards this instruction.
The closing date for submission of the applications is 15 May 2017 at 13:00h (Brussels time). EASO will disregard any application received after this date and time.
Applicants are strongly advised not to wait until the last day to submit their applications, since heavy internet traffic or a fault with the internet connection could lead to difficulties in submission. The EASO cannot be held responsible for any delay due to such difficulties.
If at any stage in the procedure it is established that any of the information provided by a candidate is incorrect, the candidate in question will be disqualified.
8. DATA PROTECTION
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by the candidate is to manage the application(s) of the candidate in view of a possible selection and recruitment at EASO.
EASO does not make public the names of successful candidates on reserve lists. However, it is possible that, for the purposes of recruitment and related planning purposes, members of the EASO management team may have access to reserve lists and, in specific cases, to the application form of a candidate (without supporting documents, which are kept in confidence by the personnel department). Application files of non-recruited candidates are kept for two years from the expiry date of the reserve list after which time they are destroyed.
The personal information requested will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the EU institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data.
9. APPEAL PROCEDURES
Pursuant to Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the Union, a candidate may submit a complaint against an act affecting him/her adversely. The complaint must be lodged within 3 months from the date of notification to the following address:
The Executive Director
European Asylum Support Office
MTC Block A, Winemakers Wharf, Grand Harbour Valletta, MRS 1917
Should the complaint be rejected, pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and Article 91 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants, a candidate may request judicial review of the act. The appeal must be lodged within 3 months from the date of notification to the following address:
European Union Civil Service Tribunal
Boulevard Konrad Adenauer
If you believe that there was maladministration, you may lodge a complaint to the European Ombudsman within two years of the date when you became aware of the facts on which the complaint is based (see http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu), or write to:
1, Avenue du President Robert Schuman -BP 403
F-67001 Strasbourg Cedex
Please note that complaints to the European Ombudsman do not have the effect of suspending the period mentioned in Articles 90 and 91 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants for lodging complaints or submitting an appeal pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
1 Regulation (EU) No 439/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 May 2010 (OJ L 132, 25.5.2010, p.11).
2 Only diplomas issued by EU Member State authorities and diplomas recognised as equivalent by the relevant EU Member State bodies are accepted. If the main studies took place outside the European Union, the candidate’s qualification must have been recognised by a body delegated officially for the purpose by one of the European Union Member States (such as a national Ministry of Education) and a document attesting so must be submitted if you have been invited for an interview. This will enable the selection board to assess accurately the level of the qualifications.
3 Before the appointment, the successful candidate shall be asked to provide an extract from their police file.
4 Before the appointment, a successful candidate shall be medically examined by one of the institutions' medical officers in order that EASO may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.