Junior Policy Officer – Circular Economy & Bioeconomy
ECOS - European Environmental Citizens' Organisation for Standardisation
ECOS is a non-profit organisation which promotes and defends environmental interests in standardisation and European product policies. ECOS aims to combat climate change, foster energy efficiency, promote a circular economy, and protect environmental health. ECOS represents 43 member organisations, including the EEB, FoEE, T&E and WWF.
ECOS is looking for a highly motivated Junior Policy Officer to join our team working on circular economy and bioeconomy in European and international standards for products and services.
Your main tasks will be to:
- Managing ECOS’ activities related to the inclusion of environmental aspects in European and international standards, in support of European environmental policies;
- Selecting, managing, and overseeing technical experts to assist ECOS’ work in the technical standardisation committees, providing them with policy guidance;
- Analyse documents of technical nature and prepare comments and policy positions in layman terms;
- Develop regular updates, briefings, positions and publications for ECOS target audiences;
- Engage and collaborate with ECOS’ members and other environmental NGOs;
- Operate ECOS task forces and support in the organisation of ECOS events;
- Assist with the preparation of funding applications and reporting, and undertake other administrative work;
- Representing ECOS in technical meetings and conferences.
Skills and experience required:
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of environmental NGOs;
- University degree in natural/environmental science or engineering;
- Good understanding of EU policy making processes and broader regulatory environment, in particular environmental protection and/or energy issues;
- Familiarity with technical work and/or standardisation processes;
- Strong analytical skills & ability to translate technical information into digestible information;
- Excellent time and project management skills, budget management skills an asset;
- Ability to quickly adapt to new issues, proactivity and self-motivation;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent writing, communication, networking and negotiation skills;
- Fluent English, other languages an asset.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a CV and cover letter by no later than midnight 1 May 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “JUNIOR POLICY OFFICER: your name”.
The first round of interviews will take place in the first half of May. Please note that ECOS will not be able to reimburse expenses for interviews. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ECOS – EUROPEAN ENVIRONMENTAL CITIZENS' ORGANISATION FOR STANDARDISATION (ASBL)
Rue d’Edimbourg, 26, B-1050 Brussels – Tel: +32 (0)2 894 46 68
EC register for interest representatives: Identification number 96668093651-33