Officer - Services, Capital, Persons and Programmes Division (SCD) - VA 09/2017
EFTA - European Free Trade Association
The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is the intergovernmental organisation of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration among its members, within Europe and globally. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States and has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Luxembourg. The Brussels office provides support in the management of the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA Agreement), in particular in ongoing decision making for the continuing evolution of the Agreement.
The Services, Capital, Persons and Programmes Division (SCD) assists the EFTA States in the areas of free movement of services, capital and persons, as well as in horizontal areas relevant to the four freedoms of the Single Market. Furthermore, the SCD assists the EEA EFTA States in relation to their participation in EU programmes.
This position is open to nationals of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
Division: Services, Capital, Persons and Programmes Division (SCD)
Type/Duration of Appointment: Fixed-term three years. If considered desirable and in the organisation’s interests, an additional three-year contract may be offered
Start Date: 1 November 2017 at the latest
Job Reference: VA 09/2017
The successful applicant will assist representatives of the EEA EFTA States in fulfilling their commitments under the EEA Agreement in the area of financial services, which in recent years has become one of the most active fields within the Agreement.
This entails the monitoring of EU developments and case handling related to new EEA-relevant EU legislation within financial services to be incorporated into the EEA Agreement. The successful applicant must be able to build and maintain a wide network of contacts for this purpose.
The person selected for the post must be willing to take on the responsibility of other policy areas as needed.
Specifically, s/he will coordinate and provide support services to:
- The EFTA Working Group on Financial Services, composed of government representatives of the EFTA States;
- Delegations of the EFTA States in relation to their participation in the relevant European Commission committees and expert groups.
S/he will work in close liaison with the relevant EFTA national administrations, EU institutions and EFTA country missions to the EU.
- Master’s degree in economics, law, business or equivalent.
- A minimum of three years’ relevant work experience in a national administration, international organisation and/or related private sector activity;
- In-depth knowledge of EU policy regarding financial services and their development in recent years;
- Knowledge of the EU institutions, policies and procedures;
- Solid knowledge of the EEA Agreement.
- Ability to draft texts, analytical reports and policy papers concisely and clearly in English;
- Self-reliance, autonomy and a proactive approach;
- Excellent organisational and communication skills;
- Ability to cooperate closely and constructively in an international team;
- Extensive experience with standard MS Office software.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Working knowledge of German, French, Norwegian or Icelandic would be an asset.
Annual starting salary: EUR 90,246
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised.
Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA States, and as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host states. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States.
Applicants must apply online via the EFTA e-recruitment tool: http://jobs.efta.int/.
Deadline for applications: 7 May 2017.