Assistant TRD - VA 08/2017
EFTA - European Free Trade Association
The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland). EFTA has established preferential trade relations – primarily in the form of free trade agreements and joint declarations on cooperation – with more than 50 countries and territories outside the EU and is continuing to develop this worldwide network.
The Trade Relations Division (TRD) of the EFTA Secretariat in Geneva consists of 12 staff members. It provides comprehensive services related to the exploration, negotiation, administration and upgrading of EFTA’s preferential trade relations.
This position is open to nationals of all EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway) and EU Member States.
Division: Trade Relations Division (TRD)
Type/Duration of Appointment: Fixed-term three years. If considered desirable and in the organisation’s interest, an additional three-year contract may be offered.
Start Date: 1 November 2017
Job Reference: VA 08/2017
The successful applicant will:
- Assist in the preparation and follow-up of free trade negotiations and other activities of the EFTA Member States with their partner countries;
- Manage arrangements and negotiate contracts for official meetings, travel and representation;
- Edit, proofread and distribute documents relating to these activities, including correspondence and legal texts;
- Edit and update the Trade Relations Division’s part of the EFTA website;
- Carry out general secretarial and administrative duties.
- Commercial diploma, high school, or equivalent.
- Experience in organising events with international participation;
- Several years’ experience of secretarial and administrative tasks, preferably in an international setting;
- Experience in working with formal and/or legal texts;
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office products (including Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point), use of Internet and web editing.
- Ability and willingness to cooperate closely in an international teamwork;
- Strong secretarial and organisational skills with attention to detail;
- Client focus, providing quick responses to internal and external requests;
- Flexibility with respect to working hours and international travel;
- Ability to work under time pressure, to multitask and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to communicate with representatives of governments, state agencies and the private sector with tact and courtesy;
- Responsibility, confidentiality and respect.
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge of English (EFTA working language);
- Fluency in spoken, and possibly written French and Spanish;
- Knowledge of other relevant languages an asset.
Annual salary: CHF 83,088
Appointments are made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised.
Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA Member States, and as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host States. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must apply online via the EFTA e-recruitment tool: http://jobs.efta.int.
Deadline for application: 30 April 2017.