FoEE - Friends of the Earth Europe
Friends of the Earth Europe is seeking a Finance Officer.
Based in the Friends of the Earth Europe office in Brussels, full time, to start as soon as possible.
Deadline for applications: 23h00 CET on 26th of April 2017.
This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the leading green environmental organisations in Brussels. Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) campaigns for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. It unites more than 30 national organisations with thousands of local groups and is part of Friends of the Earth International, the world’s largest grassroots environmental network.
You will work in a finance team under supervision of the Finance Manager. Together with your colleagues, you work in close cooperation with the operations team and hold a key function in support of the organisation’s financial management. Your main role is to help our campaign and project staff by keeping track of budgets, preparing financial reports to our donors and ensuring a smooth and accurate processing of financial transactions. Additionally, you will be assisting our member groups and partners across Europe with the financial implementation and reporting of projects according to the requirements of FoEE and its funders.
You will also gain a working knowledge of the tools and systems for financial monitoring in a professional NGO. This position will require a healthy balance between accuracy, confidence in working with numbers and personal skills, completed by professional maturity. You are a team player able to work in a fast moving and responsive department, while also being able to work independently within the parameters of the post. You are responsive to short-term needs without losing track of fixed deadlines.
- Financial reporting to donors and other stakeholders;
- Review and processing of financial transactions (including invoicing, authorisations, coding) in line with policies;
- Controlling financial reports of project partners;
- Record and administer use of the organisation’s credit cards;
- Support to audit process and internal controls;
- Development and input to FoEE’s financial monitoring systems;
- Support to budget holders.
- Relevant professional qualifications in finance and/or accounting, proven and relevant professional experience;
- Understanding of project accounting within a non-profit and restrictive funding context;
- Able to demonstrate a solid working level of skills in Microsoft Excel;
- Able to both work within and further develop existing systems and procedures;
- A good command of English, which is the working language for this post;
- An international approach and understanding of cultural differences;
- Able to work systematically and with attention to details;
- Able to work in the Brussels office on daily basis;
- Committed to FoEE’s vision, mission and values.
- Familiar with one or more of the common bookkeeping systems used in Belgium;
- A background in NGO or voluntary activities;
- Working knowledge of French and/or Dutch are an advantage.
The position will be based in our office in Brussels (full-time, 5 days a week).
Friends of the Earth Europe offers a highly motivating working environment in an international NGO and office located in an environmentally friendly NGO building.
Remuneration: between €2,518 and €2,963 (gross), depending on experience.
Friends of the Earth Europe offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium.
Conditions are according to Belgian legislation, hence the position is open solely to persons with right to work in the EU.
If you feel you meet our criteria, and feel inspired by the objectives and challenges of the position, send us a motivation letter in English with a CV and contact details for two references to email@example.com by 23:00 on 26th of April 2017. Proficiency tests and interviews are planned between the 2nd and the 10th of May. The position starts thereafter.
For this application only shortlisted candidates will be contacted – thank you for your understanding.