Manager of External Scientific Courses
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff member
Contract Duration: 4 years (renewable)
Grading: 6, 7 or 8; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 30 April 2017
Commencing Date: To be discussed
Reference Number: HD_01056
EMBL is Europe’s flagship research organisation for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. EMBL is international, innovative and interdisciplinary – its 1600 employees, from many nations, operate across five sites near Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Rome and Cambridge.
The EMBL International Centre for Advanced Training (EICAT) Manager of External Scientific Courses will lead development and implementation of a strategy for the external scientific courses offered by EICAT. A special focus will be implementation of new Laboratory Training Courses, also in collaboration with EMBL Corporate Partners. The Manager will actively search and deploy opportunities for novel and innovative scientific courses at the forefront of scientific and technological development. She/he will directly report to the EICAT Scientific Coordinator.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead establishment and regular review of goals and objectives for the overall External Scientific Course portfolio for EICAT, as well as for individual external courses at EMBL Heidelberg;
- Lead development and implementation of External Scientific Courses at EMBL Heidelberg, including programme development in close contact with the scientific organisers, as well as budgeting;
- Supervise the EICAT Training Lab Officer;
- Lead development and implementation of assessment strategies and tools to monitor progress towards objectives;
- All of the above will be done in close consultation and alignment with training and course programmes at the other EMBL campuses. She/he will support courses at the other campuses;
- Support the EICAT Scientific Coordinator with organisation of the EMBL Course and Conference Programme in collaboration with the EMBL Course and Conference Office;
- Participate in fundraising as well as in promotional and marketing efforts to advertise the courses;
- Lead and oversee the compliance of safety rules in the training laboratories.
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate should have a PhD degree, preferably in the life-sciences, with at least 2 years of postdoctoral research. A broad interdisciplinary scientific interest and research background is required. Additional qualifications in the area of (scientific) management and/or scientific training would be highly beneficial. A genuine scientific interest and a strong motivation for the implementation of new training actions and excellent presentation skills are essential.
The successful candidate should have demonstrated effective organisational skills and the ability to handle work in an efficient and timely manner across a broad range of functions. Effective multi-tasking and the ability to work with tight deadlines are also required.
Experience in collaborations with corporate partners and demonstrated independence in the organisational and financial management of projects in the scientific context would be highly beneficial.
Outstanding interpersonal skills, as well as creativity and collaborative team spirit are required. The ability to anticipate needs and maintain excellent working relationship with people, also from the corporate environment is essential.
An excellent command of written and spoken English is required and additional skills in other European languages (e.g. German and/or French) would be highly beneficial.
A high level of computer literacy is required for this position. Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft or Open Office software, as well as the Adobe Software Suite are expected.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family, and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.