Internship - EU Advocacy Assistant
Oxfam’s EU Advocacy Office challenges EU policies to make them work for people in poverty. Oxfam International is seeking an enthusiastic intern to support the work of its EU Policy Advisors working in the areas of development cooperation, agriculture and food security, and tax and inequality. You will gain hands on experience working with the EU advocacy team of a leading international non-governmental organisation, develop your analytical and advocacy skills and acquire practical knowledge of EU policy-making and legislative processes.
Key responsibilities (Advocacy - 80%; Administration - 20%)
- Monitor EU policy-making and legislative processes in the areas of development cooperation, agriculture and food security, and tax and inequality.
- Support the work of Oxfam’s EU Policy Advisors, including by conducting background research, drafting notes and letters, preparing briefings.
- Attend meetings with policy makers, other stakeholders and allied organisations, and report back on events attended.
- Take responsibility for at least one longer term project linked to the advocacy objectives on either agriculture and development (GROW campaign) or tax justice (EVEN IT UP campaign)
- Assist in setting meetings with EU decision-makers for Oxfam EU Policy Advisors and high-level Oxfam staff coming to Brussels.
- Assist in organising internal and public events in support of Oxfam’s campaigns.
- Keen interest and knowledge of international cooperation and development, EU policies and decision-making processes.
- Affinity with the aims and objectives of Oxfam, supporting our vision of a just world without poverty.
- Education: academic degree in a relevant field such as International Development, European Affairs, Economics, Political Science or International Relations.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of French, Spanish or another EU language is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work independently and deliver results with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work within a team and with an international network.
- Computer skills: confident user of all office applications.
- A quick learner with a positive attitude and pro-active approach. Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively in a busy office environment.