Finance and Administrative Officer
International IDEA - The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
The Hague, Netherlands
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
The incumbent will provide sound and effective financial and administrative management to the Constitution Building Processes (CBP) Team and Wider Europe Programme (WEP) to enable it to achieve its results and outputs.
- To administer all financial issues related to the programmes and ensure that all financial regulations and reporting requirements internally and externally are met;
- To support the project and its activities with administration and logistics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures monthly accounts are prepared in compliance with the Financial Rules and Regulations of International IDEA and any local accounting and tax requirements;
- Processes invoices, project advance requests, project expenditure reports and other payments as requested;
- Reconciles bank statements and petty cash of the office on a monthly basis;
- Prepares annual budgets in coordination with Programme staff and Project Financial Officers at headquarters;
- Prepares and monitors budgets, tracks financial progress, analyses project expenses and prepares revisions as required;
- Monitors grant funding and assists in the preparation of Donor financial reports and other correspondence required;
- Prepares financial analysis and other financial information as required by Programme Staff and HQ Project Financial Officers;
- Ensures procurement processes are carried out in compliance with the Procurement Policy of the Institute. Prepares and registers contract agreements in cooperation with Programme staff. Monitors contracts and alerts Programme Staff regarding deadlines and delivery schedules;
- Prepares documents and files for any project and institutional audits as required;
- Ensures contracts and project budgets are registered in Maconomy correctly, maintains files and archives and keeps accurate records of financial and contractual actions;
- Manages and monitors all matters relating to the maintenance of the office and facilities; including maintaining an inventory of equipment and furniture procured, dealing with office maintenance issues and liaising with the landlord regarding lease and property related matters;
- Works closely with the IT Unit at headquarters to ensure that the IT needs of the Hague office are met;
- Fully manages, as proper projects, the organization of meetings, conferences and workshops (costing and booking venues, liaising with attendees, organizing travel, etc…). Assists with the preparation of meeting materials and follow-up production of documents;
- Organizes staff travel including cost control, travel advances, travel claims and other associated issues; when applicable, assists external consultants.
- Has developed specialized skills or is multi-skilled developed through job-related training and considerable on-the-job experience;
- Adds considerable value to team-based activities in his/her unit, and likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Senior Programme Manager CBP, and Senior Programme Manager, WEP.
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of accuracy and analysis of financial information;
- High level of proficiency in working with computerised financial systems and software such as spreadsheets and database programs;
- Full and demonstrated knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook);
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with Accounting and Payroll systems including ERP systems;
- Fully competent in working with spreadsheets, templates and other relevant systems to prepare budgets, financial reports and financial analysis.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization;
- Uses knowledge of how the team integrates with others to accomplish team objectives;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Provides solutions to problems in situations that are atypical or infrequently occurring based on practice and existing precedents or procedures.
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects solutions from established options.
- Impacts the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the function; uses discretion to modify work practices and processes to achieve results or improve efficiency.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement;
- English and Dutch - Fluent oral and written;
- Russian - Fluent oral and written would be an advantage.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in the area of finance and administration;
- High school diploma and preferably business administration and/or secretarial education; diploma/qualification in basic accounting is necessary; tertiary education is considered an advantage;
- Experience working in a grant funded, project based environment;
- Knowledge of procurement processes and contract management;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract
Local Post. Two (2) year Fixed term appointment. Salary €3158 per month.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in The Netherlands.
Deadline for applications:
Applications should be submitted no later than 25 January 2017. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.