Head of Advocacy and Outreach
The Head of Advocacy and Outreach reports to PI’s Executive Director and is part of PI’s Management Team. S/he is responsible for the planning, implementation and monitoring of PI’s advocacy, outreach and communication strategies throughout the organisation, in coordination with the Management Team and field offices in their programming.
S/he oversees the work of the Communications & Outreach Coordinator and works in close collaboration with all thematic units in head office and with PI’s country representatives in the field.
- Participate in PI Management Team by contributing with advocacy, outreach and communications perspective to the organisation’s strategic plan and decision making processes;
- Within the framework of PI’s advocacy Policy, develop PI’s advocacy, outreach and communication strategy in coordination with PI’s Management Team and Country Representatives;
- Review and follow up PI country advocacy, outreach and communication strategies in consultation with the Country Representatives;
- Develop protocol on public statements in consultation with Country Representatives;
- Supervise staff and work plan implementation of the Advocacy and Outreach Unit;
- Planning, organisation and coordination of PI global advocacy activities;
- Oversee, coordinate and support strategic planning and implementation of country advocacy, outreach and communication initiatives;
- Organise and participate in advocacy capacity building and knowledge sharing activities with PI country presences;
- Ensure consistency in PI messaging across different fora and initiate campaigns in line with PI’s mandate;
- Ensure consistency between advocacy asks and communications, including its presence on social media;
- Provide guidance on strategic messaging and awareness raising actions to all Units and Country presences;
- Support the publication and dissemination of PI’s annual report and other institutional documentation;
- Coordinate the lay-out and publication of PI’s publication in coordination with other Units and Country presences;
- Support fundraising efforts and contribute to the preparation of donor reports in close collaboration with the programme coordination team.
- Elaborate documents for advocacy, communication and/or fundraising purposes;
- Represent PI before institutions, EU and non-EU Member States and participate in international events and conferences;
- Network with other organizations working in areas of interest,
- Support the Executive Director and Management Team on any other issues when requested.
Qualifications and working experience
- Relevant academic background (international law, international relations, political sciences, among others);
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience including dedicated advocacy and outreach work on human rights issues;
- Proven experience in advocating before European Institutions and the United Nations;
- Proven experience in advocacy work and in preparing material for advocacy purposes (briefings, reports, position papers, notes, etc.);
- Proven experience in managing communication’s campaigns online and off-line.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Sound understanding of the international Human Rights system as well as national mechanisms for the protection of human rights defenders;
- Good knowledge of EU and UN institutions and policy-making process;
- Knowledge of human rights’ contexts in Asia, Africa and Latin America Expertise on the human rights defenders situation in non-European regions is an asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work in a team and to communicate with colleagues
- Capacity to motivate colleagues and to assume leadership in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to influence others
- Strategic and analytical skills ;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure;Ability to travel overseas;
- Command of content management systems (particularly Drupal) and social media;
- Ability to communicate with relevant stakeholders and diplomatic skills;
- Very good redaction skills;
- Excellent communication, networking, and inter-personal skills;
- Good computer skills ;
- Fluency (written and oral) in English and working proficiency in French and/or Spanish. Being able to communicate effectively in the three working languages of PI is a strong asset;
- Commitment to PI’s mission and to the work of human rights defenders.