Research Assistant/Junior Consultant in Justice and Home Affairs Practice
ICF International specialises in applied research, evaluation and policy analysis, working across the public and voluntary sectors. We work at a local, national and international level, with teams based in the UK, Europe, North America and beyond. Our basic proposition is simple: better use of evidence leads to better decisions, and better decisions lead to better outcomes. This is reflected in our approach to working with clients, combining the best elements of academic rigour with the practical concerns of consultancy. Check our website is www.icf.com.
We are expanding our services, and to support this growth, we are looking for a Research Assistant or Junior Consultant (depending on experience) to join our Justice and Home Affairs. The practice provides research, evaluation and technical assistance services to EU institutions, in particular the European Commission (including DG Home, DG Justice, DG ECHO and DG MOVE), as well as other European organisations, such as the European Asylum Office and Frontex.
Our current portfolio of projects reflects the diversity of our work. Examples include: the current Fitness Check of the Legal Migration Directives, the evaluation of EASO Training Curriculum, the evaluation of Health in humanitarian aid actions financed by DG ECHO and the evaluation of the “Prevention and fight against crime" 2007-2013 programme (ISEC) and the "Prevention, preparedness and consequence management of terrorism and other security related risks" 2007-2013 programme” (CIPS).
The position entails researching, developing and implementing policies or programmes for our clients. You will be working on multiple projects at a time, interacting with all levels of ICF staff and external stakeholders. We are interested in individuals who can demonstrate a real interest in European migration and home affairs policy, combined with strong analytical, writing and organisational skills. Skills in quantitative data analysis would be a particular asset.
- Undertake high-quality research and data collection activities;
- Conduct qualitative analysis (experience with NVIVO an advantage);
- Conduct quantitative analysis (experience with Excel essential; experience with SPSS, STATA, etc. an advantage);
- Assist with report-writing and presentations;
- Contribute towards the preparation of tenders and reports for the European Commission, governments, and other EU clients;
- Arrange, conduct and facilitate interviews, surveys and focus groups;
- Develop, conduct and analyse case studies;
- Accompany colleagues on site visits and to client meetings;
- Collaborate closely with other project teams, and external partners and stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, law, sociology, public policy or a related discipline;
- Typically two years’ work experience within the context of European migration policy and management or internal security policy;
- Strong qualitative and quantitative evaluation and analytical skills (experience in impact assessments preferable);
- Intermediate or advanced computer user skills (Microsoft applications);
- Exceptional writing skills, including editing and proofreading skills;
- Excellent oral and written English; fluency in at least one additional European language;
- Knowledge of European policy making process and EU Institutions;
- Experience of working for the European Commission an advantage;
- Highly developed, interpersonal skills and self-motivation;
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work within multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams spread across several countries;
- Sound research and business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information;
- Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities, and manage a varied workload to achieve agreed deadlines without compromising quality or standards;
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as clients and sub-contractors;
- Ability to build knowledge of the business and apply an understanding of ICF’s markets and capabilities to own day-to-day responsibilities;
- Ability to take initiative and work without close supervision;
- Ability to demonstrate a can-do approach, as a problem solver and team player.
If you are interested in this position, then please send us your CV and a covering letter in which you explain why you are interested and well placed for the job.