Programme Officer, EMBO Science Policy Programme
EMBO - European Molecular Biology Organization
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 5 or 6, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 23 January 2017
Reference Number: EMBO_00056
EMBO is an organization of more than 1700 leading researchers that promotes excellence in the life sciences. The major goals of the organization are to support talented researchers at all stages of their careers, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a European research environment where scientists can achieve their best work.
The focus of the EMBO Science Policy Programme is the governance of new technologies and, more generally, issues in biomedical research. Our aim is to provide informed analyses to policymakers, research administrators, scientists, and other decision-makers. We conduct our work through policy research, engaging the EMBO community and other experts. EMBO is involved in a wide range of European and international projects.
The EMBO Science Policy Programme is seeking a Programme Officer to support its work in science and research policy. The Programme Officer will report to the Manager of the Science Policy Programme.
Specific Responsibilities and Requirements
- Policy Analysis. Working with the Science Policy Programme Manager, the Officer will:
- draft meeting agendas;
- identify and invite participants for expert meetings;
- support the work of expert groups through additional research;
- summarize meeting proceedings;
- draft meeting reports;
- present reports as requested by the Programme Manager or EMBO Director.
- Assist the Programme Manager in drafting grant- and other funding proposals;
- Monitor policymaking processes, especially at the European level, for issues that may be of concern to the EMBO community;
- Maintain relevant contact lists;
- Write summaries of select policy issues for distribution to the EMBO community and through EMBO communications channels;
- Monitor the budget of assigned policy projects;
- Represent EMBO at external meetings as required;
- This position will occasionally require duty travel and work outside normal working hours;
- Administrative support work will be required;
- Additional tasks may be required by the EMBO Director.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in policy analysis; technology assessment; outcomes and implementation analysis; or, a related analytic area;
- Strong communication skills in written and verbal English;
- Advanced academic degree (M.A., Ph.D. or similar); or, equivalent experience;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team (including work with external collaborators).
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
Further questions about the position may be directed to the manager of the EMBO Science Policy Programme, by email only (michele.garfinkel[at]embo.org).
EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.