Communications Manager (Maternity Cover)
Eurodad - European Network on Debt and Development
Eurodad (the European Network on Debt and Development) is a network of 47 civil society organisations (CSOs) from 20 European countries. We work for transformative yet specific changes to global and European policies, institutions, rules and structures to ensure a democratically controlled, environmentally sustainable financial and economic system that works to eradicate poverty and ensure human rights for all.
The purpose of this role is to lead Eurodad’s communications work. This means implementing our Communications Strategy, and updating it if necessary. You will manage relationships with our key media contacts and will be responsible for making all of our external products – including our website, newsletter, social media, briefings and reports – as influential as possible. This will include devising and implementing outreach plans and advising authors on style and structure so that our outputs are read, understood and used by our target audiences.
You will also be responsible for overall quality control of all communications products, which will include significant editing in English as well as helping build the capacity of all Eurodad staff, and you will be expected to author your own web pieces or other communications material. You will manage a small team, which is currently composed of this position plus a Communications Assistant, but will also work closely with a range of Eurodad policy and advocacy staff and with advocacy and communications professionals across the network.
In addition you will support the implementation of Eurodad’s fundraising by using your strong writing skills to edit and redraft proposals and reports.
The successful candidate will be an excellent written communicator, with first-class English drafting and editing skills, including structuring written material clearly. They will be experienced in writing to a variety of audiences and communicating technical material easily and effectively. They will be used to building relations and working effectively with a wide variety of media contacts.
They will have very strong project management skills – with experience of driving forward the implementation of strategies and workplans. They will be passionate and highly motivated to work on development finance issues as part of Eurodad’s multinational team.
Eurodad colleagues, civil society organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, journalists and other communications targets.
Contract & location:
Brussels-based, maternity cover contract. We are open to discussing flexible working arrangements for the right candidate. Competitive salary, and package of benefits including hospitalisation insurance, travel insurance and contribution to pension plan.
A.ENSURING EXCELLENCE IN OUR COMMUNICATIONS PRODUCTS (35%)
- Oversee all communications products including the updating of our website, production of our fortnightly newsletter; and production of reports and briefings;
- Edit final products to make sure they follow Eurodad’s house style and are effective for their target audience, and advise authors throughout the process;
- Build the capacity of colleagues who are producing communications content (writing web articles, briefings etc) and speaking to communications targets (journalists, influencers etc);
- Produce press releases and briefings, articles, updates and summaries of key documents when necessary for communications purposes and manage social media platforms.
B.DEVELOPING AND IMPLEMENTING EURODAD’S COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY (20%)
- Ensure that Eurodad’s communications work maintains its strategic focus. This will include ensuring we are focused on influencing our target audience, and ensuring that our communications strategy and guidelines are implemented;
- Ensure effective dissemination of all communications products so that they are read by, used by and influence their target audience. This will include managing translation and dissemination in relevant languages;
- Ensure effective systems to monitor and evaluate all communications outputs.
C.MANAGING RELATIONSHIPS WITH MEDIA AND OTHER KEY CONTACTS (35%)
- Support key advocacy moments (such as external decision making points) by designing and implementing appropriate communications plans;
- Maintain strong relationships with key journalists and media outlets;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in member or allied organisations to help magnify our impact.
D.MANAGEMENT AND TEAM SUPPORT (10%)
- Ensure funding reports and proposals are clearly written for the target audience, including advising drafters, and editing;
- Line manage staff, as necessary;
- Provide support for strategic management processes, including Away Days, Quarterly Reviews, Board meetings and General Assemblies;
- Support colleagues and assist with the day to day running of the office, as required, including liaising with suppliers as necessary.
ROLE RELATED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- A first class communicator: with a truly excellent standard of written English, including ability to tailor language to suit the audience and copy edit to a very high standard;
- Very strong organisational skills: ability to plan, organise, coordinate and ensure the delivery of outputs to high standards on time;
- Strategic-minded communicator: Ability to focus work on delivering effective communications strategies that influence key target audiences, and support advocacy work;
- Excellent networker with first class interpersonal skills, including ability to build strong relationships with key external targets, work collaboratively under pressure, and help develop the capacity of colleagues.
2.ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- At least five years’ experience of working in Communications. Specifically:
- Drafting and producing newsletters, web content or other communications products, and briefings or reports, in English, ideally for a policy audience;
- Editing and ensuring quality control of written communications products;
- Managing relationships with key media contacts, preferably on the EU level.
- Educated to at least degree level in a relevant subject;
- Experience of working with websites and on social media campaigns;
- Computer literate and familiar with standard applications such as MS Office.
- Previous communications experience in an advocacy or campaigning civil society organisation;
- Work related to development finance policy issues, and understanding of contemporary development and development finance debates;
- Involvement in the design and implementation of communications strategies;
- Awareness of diverse civil society tactics;
- Knowledge of French or Spanish.
4.COMMITMENT TO EURODAD’S OBJECTIVES AND WILLINGNESS TO TRAVEL
Application deadline: 22nd January 2017 before midnight Central European Time.