Senior Manager Healthcare Policy & External Affairs EU
For Healthcare Policy & Ext. Affairs Europe we look for a Senior Manager Healthcare Policy & Ext. Affairs EU.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Help perform public policy strategy assessments that include gathering, interpreting and disseminating information on government initiatives and their impact and developing recommendations to address them. Devises and effectuates both defensive measures to defend the policy space for biotherapies and proactive measures that can improve the environment and produce business opportunities. Must work cross-functionally with the business in performing this responsibility and help lead internal issues teams. Will serve as policy liaison to specified European business teams and help teams accomplish business goals by driving team public policy understanding and leading related actions to address priority policy and stakeholder aspects affecting business plans. Requires ability to understand the connection between external policy factors and business to help prioritize efforts;
- Contribute to or lead design and execution of successful, complex, legislative and regulatory policy campaigns that change the environment for company success. Draft legislative and regulatory options and language. Special emphasis is support of CSL Behring EU activities as well as priority country level for issues with major business impact threats and opportunities in the emerging policy landscape on rare diseases. This includes but is not limited to patient access, payment and reimbursement, plasma sourcing, manufacturing, government support for research and regulatory policy;
- Responsible for building valuable relationships with government officials that will be utilized to impact policy outcomes. Convey knowledge of CSL Behring and its issues within these offices and help to negotiate policy solutions;
- Help in defining and assuring execution of company policy priorities at trade associations;
- Build relationships and alliances with key stakeholder groups including patients, physicians, distributors and other key groups involved in policy areas of concern. Work with these groups to gain alignment and gain support on policies and regulatory/legislative initiatives;
- Contributes significantly to policy related communications efforts internally and externally, including policy newsletters, position papers and advocacy documents;
- Manages external contract resources as needed.
- Undergraduate degree in policy-related area, such as political science or economics, desirable with additional training at graduate level highly desirable;
- Technical/business degrees with additional training in fields related to political processes can also qualify.
- Six to ten years relevant health policy, government and external affairs experience in pharmaceutical industry desired, with biologics/plasma preferred;
- Experience in multi-cultural environment, fluent, business-level language skills in English, and other European languages (French desirable) in writing and speech;
- Knowledge of healthcare systems and policy issues, pharma/plasma therapeutics industry commercial business model and key stakeholders, knowledge of economic principles of pricing and pharmaceutical markets;
- Country-specific public policy experience and success preferred, along with EU-level experience;
- Experience in visualizing and managing strategies to impact legislation and regulations including reimbursement policies;
- Experience building strategic alliances and stakeholder relationships for effective outcomes;
- Prior experience advocating with government officials.
- Strategic thinking given strategic implications of policy and policy processes;
- Excellent applied knowledge of managing policy strategies related to business. Individual must be able to understand business and the policy environment, their nexus, and how to manage outcomes for optimal impact on CSL Behring;
- Legislative and regulatory language drafting and knowledge of public policy process and how to affect outcomes;
- Negotiating, including the ability to work effectively across a matrix organization;
- Collaborative skills including the ability to develop positive relationships across the Business. Drive for results;
- Business acumen, including knowledge of markets and competitors;
- Strategic Agility, including a demonstrated ability to think broadly and to take an active role in the operational and strategic planning;
- Problem solving, including the ability to perform sound business analyses, bringing issues, risks and opportunities up to management;
- Integrity, consistent with the CSL standards related to ethics and values;
- Customer Focus in meeting or exceeding customer requirements;
- Functional/Technical skills;
- Time management skills to support multiple stakeholders and requirements.